CH 19

With a fresh cup of coffee, he sat down on his old computer debating if he should log onto his game and play for a bit. Out of habit, he opened his e-mail and was excited to see one from Naomi. It turned out to be a poem.

The dove landed delicately

on the thorny branch

As with every day

she admired how the morning dew decorated the rose petals

But, this morning

she noticed a brooding man not far away

His rugged frame was hunched forward

as he clutched a rose tightly in his hand

Out of instinct

she flew to his side

He seemed not to notice

how deep the thorns cut

as blood dripped from his fingers

The man glanced toward the dove

as the sun glistened on her

Something passed between them

his face softened as he looked deep into the her eyes

Then, the man gazed at the beauty of the rose

laying softy in his hand

Somehow thankful

for the dove perched at his side

At the bottom was written, "Tom, I miss you and want to be with you again. Let me be the Dove in your life. Love, Naomi."

It looks like things didn't work out with her and Bob after all. The sudden warmth and happiness he felt was a welcome relief from the stoic loneliness it replaced. Tom missed her desperately.

But if they got back together, she wasn't going to accept him keeping secrets from her. If he got back with her she would have to know everything. Could he afford to do that? If not, how long could he go on alone like this? Not indefinitely. He had to have companionship. No, not just companionship, he needed more, he needed love and Naomi is the only one he has had ever had deep emotions for.

Sure, she had her faults... a bit too concerned with appearances perhaps. Tom smiled, she reminded him of his parents in a lot of ways and how they spent so much time making their house look perfect. He realized that she shared a lot of both his Dad's Mom's traits now that he thought about it.

Tom sighed and turned to look out the glass patio door at the continue approach of the sun and the start of a new day. She would have to be a part of this if he wanted to have a solid and meaningful relationship with her. He picked up the phone to call her, fighting off painful memories of her with Bob while hoping so much that things could be worked out.

"Hi. Naomi, how've you been?"

"Hi Tom, I'm glad you called. Did you read my e-mail?"

"Yes, I liked your poem," he said.

"Thanks, I'm sorry about going off without giving us a chance to work things out. You mean too much to me to give up so easy."

His heart swelled up inside him radiating warmth and hope. "I'm sorry too for ignoring. That was wrong and now I know how wrong."

There was a short pause then she said, "So... do you want to get this another try?"

His face broke into a smile. "You bet and I've got so much to tell you."