6. Cute

Troye entered the coffee shop, his eyes wandering over the group of his friends, occupying the table in the further corner. Ricky and Zoe were laughing to the point where they were red at something Tyler was saying, while Connor hid his face in his hands from embarrassment. Troye smiled when he noticed that tips of the boy's ears were blushing along with his face.

"What's up?" Troye asked curiously, his eyes settling on Tyler, waiting for the response.

It was Zoe who squealed loudly instead, "Guess who has got himself a hot date?"

At that Connor groaned, and buried his face deeper, "Sometimes I hate you guys."

Troye cocked an eyebrow inquisitively, shifting his gaze to Zoe, "A hot date?"

From his hidden position, Connor countered, "It's not a date! I haven't agreed to anything!" before ducking his head shyly again.

"Only the hottest guy ever just asked Con-Con out in the middle of the coffee shop, no big deal," Zoe was ecstatic about it. "I mean, he is handsome, and sweet, and artsy, and smart, and superfit, and he seems so much into Connor already," she trailed off dreamily.

As Troye looked over at Ricky and Tyler, both guys in question just nodded in confirmation.

"I haven't agreed to anything," Connor repeated indignantly, peeking at Troye from behind his palms.

"Why not?" Troye asked, meeting his gaze for the first time.

"You think I should?" Connor replied quietly, looking back.

Tyler helpfully intercepted, "Well duh! I mean, Joey is the hottest piece of ass in this hellhole." He winked at Ricky, "Present company excluded."

Troye frowned, "Joey? As in Joey Graceffa?"

Connor perked up at that, glancing at Troye worriedly, no traces of previous mirth, "Wait, do you know him?"

Troye could have sworn that he detected a hint of disappointment on Connor's face. He shifted in his seat uncomfortably, as everyone at the table, including even Ricky, gave him an awkward look.

"Sorta." Troye answered curtly, not really understanding what the big deal about it was. Everyone knew everybody in college.

Tyler, who was also frowning, asked him, "When did you?.. I mean, how do you know him?"

Connor seemed positively mortified, his face no more flushed, as he waited for Troye to answer.

"I don't understand, is something wrong?" Troye was getting increasingly confused. "I mean, we are both assigned to the music department," he looked over at Ricky, who was also one of the music majors, but the boy just stared back at him, "So he hangs out a lot in the studio."

"Oh, so you are just acquaintances?" Zoe piped in, pointedly looking at Connor.

Troye nodded, his eyebrows still knitted, "Is there a problem?"

"No, not at all," Connor replied abruptly, rising from the table and picking up his paper coffee cup. He looked at Ricky, "The practice is in half an hour, and I wanted to talk to the coach before, remember? We should probably go."

Ricky seemed a bit deflated, as he picked up his books and stuffed them into his duffel bag, "You are talking to him today?"

Connor looked down to the ground, and nodded silently, before turning around and leaving, Ricky in tow.

"Well, awkward," Troye questioned sarcastically, "What's that about?"

Tyler and Zoe exchanged uncomfortable glances.