9. Unattainable

"Just leave me alone, please," Troye pleaded passively.

"Come on, Troye," Connor pouted, "Pick one."

Troye crossed his arms in defense, "Why do I have to?"

They were currently arguing in the middle of a furniture store in attempt to purchase a couch to replace the one Tyler took with him, with Troye acting like a petulant child and Connor scolding him for bad behavior.

"Because I'm essentially buying it for you and the guys to sleep on," Connor answered, plopping on one of the couches. He winced, "Ew, I don't like this one at all. It's kinda hard," he shifted in his seat a little bit, giving it a try, "Nope, this one is too hard."

Biting back an innuendo, Troye grunted instead, "I mean, let Ricky help you, or Kian, I don't know."

Connor's eyes widened, "I keep forgetting that you've actually never seen my old place. It was a total disaster. No design or color scheme whatsoever. I love them and all but I don't trust these guys with aesthetic matters."

"Did they find a roommate instead of you?"

Connor nodded, "Yeah, some kid named Cameron, I think. He seems... alright," Connor trailed off, lost in his thoughts.

"Do you miss them?" Troye asked, looking at him.

"A little bit, yes. We still hang out a lot, but it's not the same as sharing a kitchen and living under the same roof. Sometimes I feel like I spend much more time with you and Caspar than with them. Not that it's bad, of course," he added hastily.

"Do you regret it, though?" Troye asked sincerely, curious for an answer.

Connor's eyes were bright when he replied, "No." There was no hesitation in his answer, and Troye liked it, as his lips upturned into a sly smile. Connor squinted at him, "I see what you are doing here, Troye boy, and it is not gonna work."

Troye raised his arms innocently, eyes wide, "I don't understand what you mean, Connie."

"You are distracting me with some deep conversation so you don't have to help me!" Connor pointed an accusing finger at Troye's chest, "No-no-no, you get down to your task. Which couch do you like?" he turned to look at the furniture.

Troye rolled his eyes, "Just buy this one," he pointed at random with his finger at the closest white sofa.

"Are you joking?" Connor was truly indignant, "You're gonna be the first to spill something on it. We need to go like taupe or mauve."

Troye scrunched his nose, moving further along the displays, "I literally have no idea what you are on about. Taupe? What is that?"

"You are such an audile," Connor shook his head and marched forward, following Troye's lead.

"I get it, you have a vast vocabulary, quit saying things I don't understand," Troye complained, stopping in front of a small grey couch, "This one is alright."

Connor cocked his head, studying it thoughtfully, "Actually, it looks pretty nice. Come on, let's take a seat." He jumped on it, dragging Troye to sit next to him, "Oh, it's soft," he put his arm around Troye's shoulders, leaning back on the sofa cushions, one leg bent at the knee. Troye ended up squished in his bear hug, his back half against Connor's chest, half against the couch, feet dangling awkwardly. Troye was afraid that Connor could feel his racing heartbeat with the hand, draped around his chest.

"This is actually pretty nice," Connor spoke after a few minutes, his voice distant.

"Yeah," Troye conceded, "So are we buying it?" he turned to look at Connor.