Chapter 1

"Remember, don't give them anything until you know its safe - no blood samples, no information... nothing," Jason Chee warned.

"They already know I'm a skin walker, Jason, that's why I'm here," Sierra replied pointedly.

There was a moment of hesitation on the other side of the line.

"I just mean... be careful - please - and call me before you go to sleep tonight to let me know everything is okay, or I swear I'm gonna hop a plane over there."

Sierra smiled to herself. They hadn't been together long, but his concern made her feel warm and fuzzy inside. Besides, it was reassuring to know that he really would come looking for her if anything went wrong - especially since that possibility had not been ruled out beyond a doubt. She'd been invited to Luxembourg, but not told anything about why she was going there or even what the Sauveterre Agency did. All she knew is that they'd guaranteed her answers and that was something she desperately wanted.

"You know I will. I promise," she replied.

She could almost hear his exhale of relief at the vow. She was pretty sure he was more anxious than she was.

"Is Devon behaving himself?" Jason asked after a brief, contemplative pause.

Sierra cocked a brow as she observed her friend's antics over the short distance between them.

"That depends - define 'behave'. He's got a blonde on his right arm, a red-head draped over the left one, and I'm pretty sure he's aiming to add the pretty brunette across the foyer to his little crowd..."

"I honestly don't know how he does it," Jason remarked.

She could hear that he was smiling and there was a back note of relief in his voice. No doubt, Jason was reassured to hear that Devon was plying his trade on someone other than herself.

"It must be a cat thing," Sierra joked. "You know how most girls like cats."

"Yeah," Jason agreed, "maybe he's destined to become part of some old lady's cat cluster - spend his evenings sitting on her lap getting stroked..." he suggested with a slightly snide note in his voice.

He was not Devon's biggest fan. Sierra laughed.

"The only way that would ever happen is if the old lady is the sexy cougar type and they're both naked..."

Crap!

Sierra bit her lip awkwardly to stop herself from saying any more. Her skin burned with embarrassment.

"Sorry," she remarked after a second's hesitation, "that just slipped out."

"You said something outrageous and impulsive... does that mean you're nervous?" Jason replied, his voice hinting at a wry grin.

"You know I am," Sierra replied quietly, her nervousness starting to show more clearly in her voice now that there was not much point holding back. "I don't have a clue what to expect. But I feel like I need to do this, Jason. I need to figure this out - figure myself out."

She heard him sigh heavily on the other side of the phone line, the humour suddenly gone from his voice.

"So I take it that means that I still can't talk you out of this, can I?" he asked.

"Not much point backing out now, is there?" she reasoned.

"Sierra!"

Sierra turned her attention to Devon in response to his call. He signalled towards the airport exit with his head and she followed the motion to see Adam Dhawan hovering by the door. Their plane had landed early, so they'd beaten their lift to the terminal.