Chapter 42

After dinner they headed back to the hostel, all eager for a shower and a good night's sleep. While everyone chose a bunk and started to settle for the night, Sierra found herself wandering out into the hostel's little back garden for some fresh air. She wasn't quite ready for bed yet - though she was definitely heading in that direction. She had her hands in the pockets of her hoodie and was just shuffling about, enjoying the picturesque little garden with its cherry blossom tree in the carefully arranged centre, when she felt a presence behind her.

The skin walker stiffened instinctively and tried to glance back to see who it was, but she felt a hand on her shoulder stopping her and knew straight away that it wasn't one of her friends. She spun around with her right fist ready to deliver a mean punch to the gut. She followed through and immediately wished she didn't, because her fist felt like it had just tried to dent a brick wall. Her eyes widened with surprise and pain as they darted up to find the strangers. His narrowed in response while he captured her arms and twisted her around. He pinned her back to the wall with one forearm pressing a little too firmly against her ribs just under her breasts. Her feet were dangling in the air uselessly.

Ow, ow, ow, ow!!!

She'd forgotten that it had been just days since she'd fractured her ribs. Without any direct pressure to them, they hadn't been bothering her at all - until now, that is. She struggled against the painful pressure, trying to worm her way out his grasp or gain some levity if she could, but it was hopeless. He was impossibly strong.

"Do not scream," he growled.

It was easy to tell that English wasn't his first language. By that point, Sierra didn't think she had enough air in her lungs left to try and scream.

So, it turns out that there's more than one way to suffocate a person...

"Cant... breathe..."she managed to wheeze out as she continued to struggle with him to no avail.

He leaned in even harder against her. She felt like the victim of a giant snake, its coils slowly getting tighter and tighter against her chest. His eyes glanced her over and he looked like he wanted to touch her face, maybe even tuck his nose into the curve of her neck and... take a big sniff?!

Do it! Touch me you arsehole! Then we'll see who's got the upper hand...

Unfortunately he didn't hear her mental encouragement. Instead he seemed to change his mind and sniffed at her a little from where he was, curiosity and uncertainty darting momentarily through his eyes in response to her unusual scent until they narrowed coldly again when he remembered his purpose.

"Leave this place," he growled.

His tone was so low and gritty that a chill ran down Sierra's spine. She was starting to feel light headed. She felt the familiar shadow of unconsciousness closing in on her, and this time she was desperate to fight it away. Who knew what would happen to her if he got his massive hands on her while she was out cold?!? She struggled again, focusing mainly on her legs. Despite the fact that every hit hurt, she flailed and kicked and tried her best to aim for his groin. In the end, however, that wasn't what saved her.

"Sierra, are you out here?"

The stranger dropped her like a hot rock and took a step back, glancing anxiously at the doorway leading into the hostel. Sierra crumpled to the ground and gasped for air, pain shooting through her chest and arm as if to remind her that she was still alive.

"You must all leave this place!" He warned her again, his eyes stony and threatening.

Then he bolted for the low garden fence and vaulted it. The sturdy wooden fencing cracked under him. It looked like it might have suffered even more damage if he'd leaned on it for longer than a second. Sierra coughed dryly, the air slowly starting to whoosh back into her lungs, making her feel slightly light-headed.