Chapter 18

There was over an hour left before dinner, so Sierra decided to get some of her mandatory fitness training in by tackling the 5 mile running track. She guessed that it would be a good way to get some sight seeing in at the same time, and she was right. The path wove through pastures, woodlands, across streams and up and down the steep hilly landscape, offering a never-ending change of breath-taking scenery. The distance and terrain proved to be just enough to challenge her body. By the time she neared the end of the course, she was pushing hard to try and complete it without slowing to a walk.

When she at last crossed her mental finish line at the edge of the western fields, she had to stop altogether and bend at the waist to catch her breath. The short, raspy pants were just evening out into something more durable, when movement in the treeline nearby caught her eye. Surprised, she straightened up to take a better look. Seconds later she found herself in shock: a massive, red-brown wolf broke the foliage and paused, eyeing her contemplatively for a moment.

Despite days spent in the company of Jason and his family, Sierra's human survival instincts flared to life. She backed away cautiously, initially fearing attack by a wild animal. Her eyes went large and her heart pounded back to life again, preparing her body for flight if necessary. A small, barely noticeable voice at the back of her head told her that there was the smallest chance she might manage an instant morph if the predator attacked, and so save herself.

The wolf cocked its head to one side in an oddly out-of-character way that brought all of that paranoia to a screeching halt. It was intrigued - amusement shining in its eyes. It was not a wild wolf! Sierra let out a steady little exhale of relief as the creature's skin started to jerk and buck when its transformation was triggered. Two minutes later, Karina emerged from the bundle of fur and teeth. She stood tall in her navy blue transition-suit and eyed Sierra, a grin easing onto the soft lines of her elegant mouth.

"You thought I was a wild wolf?" she noted with amusement.

Sierra nodded her confession with embarrassment and started playing with her fingers. "I guess I'm still getting used to all this. My human instincts just kicked in without me even thinking about it," she admitted.

"You should probably try to fix that - that sort of thinking could get you killed," Karina cautioned with a hint of humour.

She sauntered gracefully towards the castle and Sierra followed on at her side. Karina paused and glanced at Sierra.

"You really cannot smell us?" she inquired with a note of disbelief.

"I really cant," Sierra replied truthfully, "not unless I've just completed a transformation."

"That is so... odd," Karina mused as she started walking again. "I cannot imagine what it would be like not to be able to smell everything. Humans have such a stunted sense of smell. Can you not do a partial transformation when you need it?"

Sierra shook her head.

"I can barely change on purpose. I'm pretty sure a partial morph is way out of my range of abilities at this point."

Karina frowned as she assimilated that information. A moment of silence passed between them.

"There is something I've been meaning to ask you - I mean, I totally understand if you don't answer me, but I'm very curious," Sierra queried.

"Yes?"

"Well Jason's pack members need their alpha like a suicidal person needs anti-depressants. From my limited exposure to wolves, I can see that packs and alphas need each other. How can you be so composed without your pack?"