Chapter 11

In seconds almost every were-creature in the room was stripping down to the skimpy second skins they'd been given without any protest. Sierra noticed that Alyssa and Kalko were the only ones not stripping. Alyssa went over and sat with the humans. Sierra started working at the zipper on her top, eager to feel some air on her skin again after the long, sweaty morning.

"No, you can keep yours on for now. I think we'd better get started on some of the fighting basics instead.

"Does your kind need to transform?" Adam suddenly asked.

"Yeah. I get sick if I don't, just like everyone else," Sierra replied as she pulled the zip back up again irritably.

"If you feel the need, you can go out in the woods later in your free time," Kalko informed her. "Right now we've gotta get down to business."

He glanced around at his team mates. Devon was still fidgeting with his trousers, seemingly reluctant to take them off.

"What's the matter, Pretty Boy? Too close for comfort?" Kalko grinned.

"Yeah... I think I'd rather be naked. This things just... weird," Devon remarked as he plucked the fabric from his rear again.

Ken grinned knowingly at Anthony. Sierra guessed that the fit of their new costumes was a little different for guys than it was for girls.

"Tough luck, newbie. Suck it up and get ready to morph. You're running the gauntlet with the others," Kalko informed him.

Devon dropped his pants and held his hands in front of his groin awkwardly. It was a somewhat comical sight. He'd never have behaved like that if he actually was naked. The rest of the team started dropping to all fours and Sierra prepared to watch them transform excitedly. But before she could see much more than a few awkward bone pops and skin bulges, Kalko grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into another room.

"Aw com'on!" Sierra spat out with venom. "I don't even get to watch them change?"

She was starting to get beyond irritated with her new team leader.

"Not today, No," Kalko replied with finality.

"What are you afraid of?" she shot back, her eyes searching for his in challenge.

She knew she shouldn't but she was just so riled by him that she couldn't help herself. Unfortunately he somehow seemed to sense her intent, so his eyes avoided hers skilfully. Instead he dragged her over to a small cupboard in the corner of the room.

"I'm not afraid. I'm concerned. It's my job to look out for everyone in the team - including you," he informed her.

He dug around in the cupboard and pulled out some bandages.

"Pull off those gloves and hold out your hands," he instructed.

Sierra was only too happy to lose the gloves, but she was hesitant to give him her hands.

"I won't bite - in human form anyway," Kalko teased.

The attempt at humour rolled off him like water off wax. Comedy was so opposite to his usual nature that it was like he was out of practise at being human. Sierra wasn't amused. She crossed her hands over her chest and continued to search for his eyes defiantly, but he continued to avoid her gaze.

"Look, you can choose to leave your knuckles open, but the skin will probably split at some point in the next hour. I'm just trying to save you from a little discomfort," he reasoned.

There wasn't much point in resisting that. Sierra gave him a hand and he set about bandaging it for her, being careful not to touch her skin. A short while later, both fists were firmly wrapped up and he was leading her over to a punching bag that looked like it was more duct tape than bag. Sierra eyed him warily.