Chapter 34

As soon as the SUV disappeared from sight, Luc rummaged through the cooler for the money.

"There is only enough here for some small to regular-sized portions at a most restaurants," he mused after a quick tally. "Fortunately I know of a place where it may go quite a bit further," he informed the group with a smile.

His eyes flickered up to the eager faces surrounding him to gauge their reaction.

"Uh, anything extra you may want will have to be paid for out of your own pockets," Luc added quickly, suddenly feeling like that bit extra wouldn't be nearly enough.

"Lead the way," Anthony replied eagerly. "Please lead the way... now!" His stomach grumbled loudly in clear agreement.

Everyone laughed. They were all ravenous. They left the car parked where it was and followed him on foot. The group passed by several appealing restaurants along the way, their stomachs punishing them for every tantalising smell. Eventually they turned and headed down a short flight of stairs into what must have once been a cellar or a coal room many centuries before. Now, however, it was a charming little bistro.

The décor was an eclectic mixture of new and old. It had a strong urban theme and the smooth, painted metal of several old street signs contrasted nicely with the original raw stone walls. Familiar music floated through the air to help set the mood and the clientele seemed to be mostly university students and young couples. It was perfect.

"Wow, brother, it appears that you do have taste," Adele remarked teasingly as she took it all in.

She headed off towards a large booth-type seating arrangement in the back corner. Everyone followed on eagerly. It didn't take long before they were settled around a large table made from repurposed old packaging crates. The antique, turned-wood couches provided comfortable seating.

A cheerful young woman approached, flashing Luc a familiar smile. He blushed a little when he realised that Sierra had seen the lingering look behind it.

"Hello, Abby," he greeted.

"Luc! It has been ages!" she replied.

He stood and gave her a soft kiss past the cheek while she hugged him casually with one arm. Her hand lingered on his arm suggestively until he turned and let it fall from his skin somewhat awkwardly.

"Abby, this is my team. We had a long training session in the city this morning and we are famished. Do you think Rue 72 is up to the challenge?"

Abby's eyes flickered over the unlikely assortment of people.

"Do they all have appetites as big as yours?" she asked guardedly.

"Bigger!" he replied without hesitation. A steady grin spread over his face. "After today's work out, much, much bigger!"

Her eyes grew wider and then she grinned slyly.

"Do they have money?" she asked in a counterfeit whisper behind her hand.

Luc smiled. He handed her the envelope with the cash. She peeped inside and her eyebrows shot up with surprise before lowering into a look of pleasure.

"Twelve per cent of it is yours and we're planning to spend it all. Maybe even more," he told her with a smile.

She closed the envelope and handed it back to him, then took her notepad and pen out from the pocket of her waitressing apron.

"Shall we start with some drinks, then?" she asked with a wry smile.

Five minutes later Abby was walking off to see to their drinks. Everyone leaned in around the table.