Chapter 12

As it turned out, the little lecture Jocelyn gave them was not at all what Sierra was expecting. She'd hoped for a break down on the creatures she was living with, and possibly a much longer list of the ones she wasn't surrounded by. Instead what she got was more like a brief history lesson of Agency interventions and rules, followed by a definition of creature etiquette - a printed list of socially acceptable behaviour amongst Agency personnel. She sighed miserably as she skimmed through the list. Most of the things on the list were no-brainers that didn't really need to be mentioned. She supposed that it made sense to ensure that all members were on the same page, considering they came from such varied backgrounds.

"Am I boring you, Sierra?" Jocelyn inquired in response to her fatigued exhale of air.

"Um, no..." she replied, sitting up a little straighter in awkwardness.

A smile crept over Jocelyn's lips.

"Really? I never really enjoy delivering this little lecture. I usually trick Geoffrey into doing it," she informed them.

Sierra relaxed and smiled back. Jocelyn was shaping up to be a pretty awesome boss. She watched the woman lean back against the desk, her fingers cupped over the lip of the table-top as she observed the two of them.

"What were you hoping the lecture would be about?" she inquired, reasoning: "you looked quite eager when you came in."

"Well, I'm dying to know more about the creatures that are out there," Sierra replied. "Kalko mentioned something earlier about a... bestiary? I think I've heard about those in movies - a sort of beast dictionary. Is that a real thing?"

Jocelyn nodded. "It is. And there is more than one type."

"When do we get to look at those?"

"Unfortunately, we cannot allow you access to those at present," Jocelyn informed her. "You have to understand that the creatures listed in those reference works are as entitled to their privacy as you are. Only top ranking members are allowed to see them."

Sierra's spirits felt crushed at that notion.

"Well what about a basic rundown on my team members then? Surely it'll be okay to know a little more about them?"

"They'll each let you into their worlds when they are ready," Jocelyn replied, an apologetic look on her face. "If fact, if you really want them to respect you, you'll let them decide when you get to touch for the first time.

Sierra scowled with irritation and Devon leant over to put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"You need to understand, Sierra, that what we are is a pretty personal thing," he told her. "Most of us never dream of sharing our existence with anyone other than immediate family. Having someone else rat you out is like... well it's like having your deepest, darkest secrets made public. Try to imagine what that would be like."

I don't need to imagine that because that's what happens when your journal is stolen from you and you have no idea who has read the darned thing...

She set her jaw in annoyance and turned her face away from him, effectively giving him the cold shoulder. He let his hand drop from her and flopped back in his chair in surrender. Jocelyn wasn't about to give up so easily. She walked over to the front of Sierra's chair and crouched in front of it to get her attention.

"You are aware that you do not need a book or a list, are you not?" she inquired.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that you have a human skill that's just as important as any creature abilities you might collect during your lifetime. You have a talent for observation."