Chapter 47 - Red to Black

FLASHBACK;

"Baby, where are you? Are you in here?" Mother looked behind the sofas but did not find me there. I covered my mouth as I giggled. I'd better be quite or she will find me. But I couldn't stop giggling. Mother finally caught up to me, unveiling the curtains! I screamed in joy.

"Mommy, you found me!"

"Yes, my sweet child. You just can't stop giggling, can you? You have to be quite when you hide or you will be found, silly." Mother flicked my nose and I giggled again.

"Again, again!" I screamed in my little high pitch voice, jumping up and down with clapping hands.

"No fair. You have to find me now, my little angel. I have to hide and you have to find me. Will you find me?" My smile grew wide.

"YES, MOMMY!" I closed my eyes with my little two tiny hands.

"No cheating! Ready? Count to ten, now!" Mother yelled before her footsteps disappeared.

I uncovered my face.

Tears ran down my face in agony. Each tear drop burned my skin as my blood boiled. I looked down at my dead mother as flashback ended. I fell to my knees as they took my mother away from me. I watched the pool of blood around me as the room grew silent. I closed my eyes.

Mother, you would always hide before I stepped a foot inside your house just to try to scare me. And then pop up out of nowhere and scare me and yell stupid stuff to me just to brighten my day even more. Mother, you would always make my day when I'm down. You would say stupid, irrational things to me just to make me mad but then you would realize your mistakes. Mother, I abandoned for a little bit because I was hurt! But.. Here I am now, and you're not with me anymore...

Why?

The aroma of my favorite dish hit my nostrils as I stared out at the floor to where the blood was laid out at. I looked up to where the kitchen was. With all my strength, I got up and walked inside the kitchen. The sky picked up and thunder roared out in the sky. Then few drops fell followed by a lot more. I looked around in silence. A kettle sat on the stove as well as a big pot of my favorite vegetable soup. I picked up a spoon with my hands shaking and opened the top of the pot before dipping the spoon in. I lowered the spoon to my lips with shaky hands and placed it in my mouth. I felt spoonful of my mother's soup run down my throat. Hot, salty tears spilled down my face as it went into my mouth. The spoon dropped out of my hand with a thud as I fell back against the island table. I starred at the stove as I cried silently.

Mother, you had cooked this for me! You just know what I like, don't you? But you missed a dash of spice. You remember what I liked in my soup, don't you? And look! You also burned my bread in the oven. I think you were trying to cook me an apology food too hard and in the process, you ended up making me laugh. But I love it, mother. You tried your best and I love it. I love the soup. 

Who did this to you, Mother? Who took you away from me? Didn't they know I was coming for you? 

Hours had passed, and I was still here, drinking in the memory of this house and my Mother. The investigation ended. Mother was taken away. I didn't go. I couldn't. I let them take her away from me while I watched in agony. The thunder roared louder and to my cue, the rain poured harder down the concrete. I opened the cabinet up all while silently crying and took out a plastic container. I poured as much vegetable soup as I can and walked out the door. I looked back one last time before getting into my car. I couldn't stay anymore. I drove away as far as I could. Memories flashed through my brain, causing a havoc inside of me. The house burned me, pained my soul as I tried to get away from it. I didn't want to look back but I did and I saw Mother stand by the door, waving gently at me with a hurtful smile on her face. I sobbed, looked away, and got into my car. 

I could hear Sov Gott's Sleep Well lullaby play on the background as pictures of my mother and I appeared on the wind shield of my car. No matter how much I tried to stop my tears, they threatened to come out even more. Everything was taken away from me in just moments of seconds. I didn't know how fast I was driving and I didn't realize it before I came across my house. I got out almost immediately and ran into the house, locking the door behind me. I slid down the door and cried silently again.

My heart ached. Everything inside and out ached as I tried to muffle my mouth.

"MOM!" I cried out and almost immediately silenced myself before a loud thud was heard from upstairs. I wiped my tears off and stood up, leaning against the door. I tried to ignore the sound but then I was surprised by a red glowing light beaming in the hallway just across my bedroom. Frightened, I didn't move an inch of me. But the glowing light just got stronger and I was compelled to walk up to it. I pushed my door open as the light lessened up and when I looked closer...

....It was coming under my bed, bright and red.

I went down on the ground and incidentally extended my arm out underneath the bed only to come across something hard. I pulled my hand out and with it came out a box that I had touched on earlier. The light came from inside it. I looked around. The box fit perfectly in my hand and when I got a closer look to it, I realized that it was my very own secret box I used to have when I was little. Mother had hid it from me because I was too attached to it and when I confronted her, she had told me she didn't remember where she had hid this box. It was replaced. How did it get here? I didn't give myself enough time to ponder as I opened it up. My heart did a full 360 as I picked it up.

Inside the box was my Red Ruby. The same ruby that Justin was suppose to have. Here it was, on my palm, turning black.

Black.

I clutched the stone closer to my heart as a shadow appeared in front of me.