Chapter 5

Damian's POV

I woke up to the feeling of something moving in my lap and the feeling of sharp bark digging into my back. I also woke up to the most incredible scent to ever grace my sense of smell. I opened my eyes and looked down, expecting to see the boy from the woods in my lap.

Instead, I found a small lynx stretching its little arms and legs like a cat as it yawns.

Oh my fucking god.

Naturally, I froze in shock. I could've sworn that I fell asleep with the boy in my lap. After a few dumb seconds of silence between us, I realized that the lynx on my lap was, in fact, the boy. A shapeshifter who can change into a lynx. No wonder he has little cat ears and a tail.

His long tail from his human form shrunk down to a little nub in his lynx form and I could see it twitching as he slept on. Okay. Okay, this is fine. Everything is fine. I felt a blush rising from the base of my neck and I put the back of my hand over my mouth as I looked away, trying not to coo at this adorable creature in my lap as he nuzzled his little head into my arm.

I relaxed as I looked down at the little cat. He really was beautiful. Silvery and dark brown mixed together. I smiled as his little yellow eyes peeked open and took in his surroundings. I expected him to freak out when he realized he was in my lap, but his eyes met mine, the corner of his lips turned up in what appeared to be a smile appeared on his face, and he closed his eyes and snuggled closer to me. 

"Beautiful..." I say as I lay my hand on his head and start stroking his silky back. A purr rumbled in his body as I kept petting him. We lay there together as the sun rises and the birds start chirping.

A sudden movement in my lap made me snap my eyes open, making me realize that I closed them in the peaceful moment. The boy had shifted in my lap into his human form. He looked into my eyes and lifted himself up. He shifted so that he was straddling my legs, his butt on my thighs. He was now eye-level.

"Yuki..."

What? Yuki? Is that Japanese? I furrow my eyebrows as I hear his voice. God, he sounds so adorable. If only I knew what that meant. He's looking at me like he's expecting something. Oh! Was that his name? 

I pointed at myself and said my name. "Damian". He suddenly grins and nods.

Then he furrows his eyebrows. "Day-mee-ahn". He annunciates each syllable as to try and pronounce it correctly. I laugh and nod my head. He smiles really big and leans forward to look closely into my eyes. Then he flicks his eyes down to look at my neck. He then furrows his eyebrows, again, and leans down. He starts rubbing his head against my neck. He licks it once and starts rubbing his whole body against mine. Not in a sexual way, but like he was trying to rub his scent on me. A whine of pleasure escapes my mouth as I close my eyes in bliss. Nobody has cared for me in such a manner. I realized I let a whine escape when the movement abruptly stops. I open my eyes to look at him and he looks awed, like a child, as he looks at my face. He smiles and hugs me.

Then he says something in Japanese.

Huh?

He repeats it. I repeat it back to him. He smiles and jumps off my lap. He goes to the bush from yesterday and quickly began picking berries off. I skipped back over to me and put the berries in my hand. He looks as if he was waiting for some kind of praise, so I smiled and patted his head.

"Thank you, Yuki," I say to him. He seemed like he stopped breathing for a second, before a smile tore across his face. He looks so happy. A praise like that can make someone that happy? Wow.

He looked as if he were going to say something else, but then he sniffed the air once, and snapped his head to one direction. He fell to his hands and feet and his tail puffed up, ears going back. He growled once and looked back to me. He jumped to his feet and ran to me. He licked my cheek, from chin to under my eye, smiled, and ran in the opposite direction from where he looked toward earlier.