Worry

Please read author's note

  "What the bloody hell does that mean?" Newt asks, half mad, half worried.

  I can't stop staring at the paper.

  The last one ever.

  My head is racing with thoughts I can't comprehend. Questions and answers and conclusions that make no sense and I feel like passing out. I reach for something to hold onto. I grasp nothing. My knees buckle and my head is pounding. A voice. A voice keeps repeating three words over and over again.

  Wicked is good.

  I am covering my ears for the voice seems to be screaming in my ear drum. It's clear and apparent and feels as if a real person is yelling.

  "Olivia!" Newt is holding me upright.

  "Everything is going to change." I say. It comes out of my mouth so smoothly. I didn't even mean to say it, like I am on autopilot.

  "Olivia, speak to us." Alby says, calmer than he was before.

  I uncover my ears and look up at Alby.

  "Everything is going to change." I whisper, again, without meaning to.

  "What do you mean-"

  He is cut off by the loud beeping sound, ringing across the Glade. Oh, I know that sound far too well. The sound that produced my worst nightmare, the sound that changed my life forever.

  "The Box." Alby says. He runs out of the door.

  "Olivia we have to go," Newt says, gently yet firmly. I nod and walk with him as quickly as we can with his limp.

  All the Gladers are crowded around the ascending box, just as confused as we are.

  "What's going on?"

  "Its only been a few days!"

  They all say. Newt and I push to the front and stand next to Alby, who is watching over as the box finally reaches the top and the blaring noise quiets.

  One Glader opens the doors of the box and jumps down into it. None of us can see and its painfully quiet.

  "What's in there, Jeff?" Alby asks the Glader.

  "A couple boxes. Even less than we get with a new Greenie." Jeff says.

  "And no one is inside?"

  "No." Jeff climbs out.

  "What does this mean?" Someone from the back shouts.

  "I don't know." Alby says, worried for the first time.

  "I'll tell you what it means," Gally pipes up from a few feet away. "It means that this girl is going to kill us all! This barely enough supplies to last us another week! Just get rid of her Alby!"