Chapter Eleven

Mathew's point of view

I'm sitting in the Hospitals waiting room, fighting off tears as I wait to hear more information on Troye and Connor. I hear footsteps and immediately stand up, expecting to see a nurse. All I see is Daniel and Phillip. I break down crying again as I fall back onto the waiting rooms sofa.

"What happened?" Phillip asked softly, placing a light hand on my shoulder.

"N-Nothing. That's what's w-wrong. They won't tell me what condition they're in.. I just want them both to live. I need a sign that everything's going to be okay." I breath in and out slowly as I wipe at my teary eyes.

"Hey, they're gonna be okay. Troye only got shot in the shoulder, and Connor is a trooper. They'll make it." Phillip sat down beside me, making the sofa dip. He hesitantly placed a hand on my thigh, giving it a light squeeze. I leaned my head against his shoulder as I gently weeped.

"Phillip, I love Troye so much.. It'd kill me if he died to save me. What if he lost too much blood? What if Connor didn't make it here in time?"

"Stop thinking and just observe."

My eyes fall closed for a second before a loud crash sounds beside me. I look up, seeing that a picture frame had fallen off the wall. I gulp, looking to Daniel. "Did you do that?"

"It wasn't me. Maybe it was the sign you were hoping for." I got up from the sofa, leaving the waiting room. "Hey, where are you going?" I ignored his questions, walking right up to the front desk.

"Which room is Troye Sivan in?" I asked the friendly-looking brunette nurse. She gave me a sympathetic smile, checking her computer screen.

"Are you immediate family of Mr. Sivan?"

"I'm his boyfriend, and he doesn't have any alive family members." I look down to sigh softly. I don't have any family left either.. It's sad how alike mine and Troye's lives are. But it's also what brought us together in the first place, so I guess it's okay. Troye and the agency are my family. That's all I really need.

"Oh. My bad. Mr. Sivan is still asleep, but you can still visit him if you'd like."

"I'd really appreciate it." The lady nodded, giving me a white visitors pass sticker after she wrote Troye's information on it. He's in room 21, so I make my way down a long hall, finding his single room. A doctor let me in after he saw my visitors pass.

He was in bed, a sling and gauze covering his left arm and right shoulder. He must have a lot of stitches under there. I sit down in the blue chair beside his bed, scooting it closer to him. I pick up his right hand, lightly caressing it in mine.

I run my thumb along the back of his cold hand, trying my best to warm it up. Upon looking at his pale face a single tear escaped my eye, running down my cheek until it fell to our hands. I lifted his hand to my lips, softly kissing it.

I guess I'll just sit here until he wakes up, or at least until I get an update on Connor's condition. I've heard nothing from the nurses. He might still be in surgery, I don't know for sure.

~

"Excuse me, Mr. Oakley. I have to talk to you about your.. friend." The same brunette nurse from earlier woke me up with a light tap on the shoulder.

"Connor?" I stood up.

"Um, yes." She glanced down at her clipboard with sad eyes. I don't like where this is going. Not one bit. "You may want to sit down for this." She led me out of Troye's room, sitting me down in a chair in the hallway.

"What the fuck happened? Tell me." I demand. The dull pain in my chest makes this whole thing ten times worse than it needs to be.

"Mr. Franta is dead. He passed away after surgery when he was recovering in his bed. It was so random, one minute he was fine and the next he was flat-lining. I'm so sorry for you loss.." She gave my shoulder a light squeeze as I broke down crying.

"N-No h-he c-c-can't b-be d-dead! He's a f-fighter!" I continuously slam my fist down on the wooden arm of the chair I'm sat in. He can't be dead. No. He's one of my best friends- my only friend. I've done numerous missions with him since Troye left the agency six years ago.

I walk down 5th ave in New York, waiting for Connor to arrive. Suddenly, a yellow cab approaches me, slowing down to a stop. I stop to get a good look at the driver. He has sandy blond- almost brunette colored hair along with piercing green eyes. Connor.

I look from side-to-side before entering the yellow cab. I entered through the back door to seem less suspicious.
"Hey, Mathew. Long time no see."

"I've mostly been on missions in the Texas area, so I haven't been able to travel out of state much." I awkwardly shuffle around until I push my backpack over to the far left side of the cab and find the seatbelt.

"Same here, except I've been stationed in New York for the last six months and I don't technically work for the same agency as you. I'm just an ally."

I always seem to forget that Connor technically isn't working for the same agency as I am, he's had a lot of the same training and lie detector tests as me, but he still technically doesn't work for us. Kinda sad, I wish he was my permanent partner in the field. Ever since Troye left last year I've just been shuffling through partners and allies, trying to find someone dependable. Maybe it'd be best if I just worked alone with the occasional ally to help out on missions.

"Hm, don't remind me. You should come and work with us one day, you fit the background of all the other agents quite well. We wouldn't even have to recruit you."

"Background? You mean having dead family, a foster home life, and living on the streets for two months until you and Marcus "found" me?" Connor was now glowering at me in the rear view mirror.

I crossed the line.

"I-I didn't mean it like that.." I swallow harshly, glancing out the window. I'm really not good at apologizing. "Sorry I brought it up."

"We're nearly at the motel, get your shit together, Oakley. You've been married to me since we were twenty, and your name is David." He could've at least picked a cuter name.

"Where's my ring?" He opens the glass partition, tossing two rings through it and onto the floor. An engagement ring and a wedding band. Sweet.

"Thanks.. Make sure to park a couple blocks away and change into nicer clothes."

"Whatever you say, honey." He cracked a crooked smile in the rear view mirror.

"There's my happy, bubbly husband that I love oh-so much." I chuckled, rolling my eyes as I smiled back at him. He helps get my mind off my heartbreak.. As do the missions.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Oakley." She touches my shoulder one last time before walking down the hall. Now I sit in the chair by myself as I cry my eyes out.

I must've sat alone for around ten minutes until two tall figures came running down the hall. Daniel and Philip.

"H-He's d-d-dead!" I cry out, my hands balling into fists as I wipe at my wet eyes.

"Who?" They ask in unison, sitting down on either side of me.

"Connor. He's dead and he's never coming back."

~

A/N

Aw, I'm crying.. Connor was one of my favorite characters.. :( Anyway, the next few chapters will be quite eventful. Stay tuned for more. Lmk what your thoughts are on this chapter and your theories for the rest of the plot..

Bye|Rachel.

Twitter|@Troylerflamingo