Chapter 5

That night, Mariska couldn't take it anymore. Her father had flipped when he heard about what had happened at school, and he demanded that she not go anywhere alone. Not that she wanted to, anyways. She knew that the incident was a warning, and she couldn't imagine what kind of warning they would receive next.

She even felt shame for having accepted the engagement. She knew the Morinozukas were one of the most powerful families when it came to training and fighting, but she was worried about Takashi. She had watched him grimace in pain when the flower pot hit him, and she had seen the bruise. More so, she felt guilty. If she had talked her father out of the engagement before things got out of hand, they could have avoided all this. However, she knew she was in love with Takashi Morinozuka, and there was no turning back from that.

What were they going to do? They had been attacked at school, and the glares of jealousy the other boys shot them were unnerving. She just wasn't sure what she could do, and she hated how helpless she felt. She didn't want to be the damsel in distress that she had seen in the movies she was always watching... She wanted to be a heroine.

Luckily, Haruhi had offered to spend the evening with her to help her take her mind off things. Both girls agreed that the mall would be alright, since it was the most public place there was in town, and, after a while, both girls were laughing and enjoying ice cream in the food court.

"This has been so much fun, Haruhi." Haruhi smiled at her as she shrugged.

"I'm glad. I thought this might do the trick." Mariska smiled at her friend as they finished up their ice cream.

"So, are you and Tamaki...?" Haruhi shook her head.

"No, I'm not with anyone. Tamaki's like a brother more than anything..." Mariska nodded as she sighed.

"Must be nice, not being fought over..." Haruhi tilted her head at her, wondering what it was she could say that would make her friend feel better.

"Mori senpai's a good guy, Mariska. I know he'll take good care of you." Mariska nodded, fighting to keep the smile on her face.

"I know that, too, but..." Haruhi set down her cone.

"But what, Mariska?" Knowing that voicing her concern would help relieve herself, Mariska answered.

"I'm worried about Takashi. After what happened this afternoon..." She lowered her gaze. "What if he gets hurt because of me? And more serious than a nasty bruise? What if... If...?" She just couldn't bring herself to say it. Haruhi smiled reassuringly at her.

"Mori senpai has us and his family. He knows that he can rely on us the same way you can rely on him. He knows his limits, and, though he tends to be extremely selfless a lot of the time, he can sure put up a hell of a fight when he chooses to. He's not going to let anyone take you away, Mariska. I promise." Mariska smiled a little, feeling much better.

"Thanks, Haruhi." With that, the two girls went home.

Ritsu dragged his feet as he entered the dining room, and his father, Kasanoda, was the first to notice.

"Ritsu... A lord does not hang his head like a beaten pup." Ritsu only grunted in response as he took his seat. Kasanoda tilted his head and looked his son up and down. "What is it then, boy? What has you so out of sorts?" Ritsu finally looked up at his father.

"It's Mariska, father... She's... She's..." Kasanoda nodded, remembering the grief the Onikan family had caused his son when Onikan refused to engage his daughter to Ritsu.

"She's been given away, hasn't she?" When Ritsu nodded, Kasanoda shook his head. "Dreadful... You'd think a person like Onikan would be spending more time hiding his daughter than parading her around, especially after the fight he put up to keep her away from you." Ritsu lowered his gaze again as his father continued. "I heard that the Morinozuka faced a bit of an accident this afternoon. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?" Ritsu said nothing for the next few minutes, only allowing the tension to build. Finally, he nodded.

"I was the one responsible for his accident. I had meant to aim for him only, but I misjudged my timing, and Mariska..." His father nodded.

"So, the Morinozuka cares for her... Use that to your advantage." Ritsu frowned as he looked up at his father.

"What do you mean?" Kasanoda rolled his eyes as he shook his head.

"How can you expect to take over my business when I retire and still be so naive? Use your imagination and think of a way to remove Morinozuka from your way and take Mariska Onikan by force if you need to. Show you're worthy of being the next Kasanoda." Ritsu thought about it for a second.

In all honesty, he had never truly intended to hurt Morinozuka. The flower pot was supposed to hit the ground beside him, but Mariska stepped in the way and almost got hurt. The only reason why Mori had been hit was because he had been protecting Mariska. That gave him an idea.

"Father, tomorrow, I wish to bring a visitor around for a few days. Would you mind?" His father smiled at him in a sinister way as he answered him.

"Not at all, Ritsu. I'll double security around here, even, and take care of any other business that happens along during the visit. In the meantime, I trust you can handle getting the visitor here?" Ritsu nodded. "Very well then. At this rate, you'll be ready in no time."