Serious Threats- Part 11

"5 years ago, I came to the conclusion that my business partner was turning against me and looking to take over the company all for himself."  Onikan stared at Hitarus.  "He decided the best way to do this was to use his son and my daughter to gain both sides of the company, especially after I was diagnosed with prostate cancer."  Mariska's eyes widened at this news.  "That is why I started drawing up a new will, this time leaving it open instead of specifying whom Mariska was to marry so that she would be more free to choose as she got older."  He looked at Mariska.  "I didn't mean for it to go this far, though.  I'm truly sorry, Mariska..."  Mariska stared at her father in shock while Otori spoke.

"We knew all along about his late staged prostate cancer, but we were curious as to how he appeared brain dead..."  He looked over at Hitarus.  "It turns out that a nurse imposter under the orders of Hitarus was slipping drugs into his IV, making him seem brain dead."  He adjusted his glasses.  "If it hadn't been for my son, Kyoya, we would fallen for it."  He then motioned for one of his policemen to move forward.  "Arrest those three at once for the attempted murder of Ratisho Onikan..."  And, just like that, an entire squad lead Hitarus, Kitosha, and Tokato away as many in the audience cheered.  Mariska smiled as she hugged her father.

"I was so worried about you..."  She frowned a little at him.  "Why didn't you tell me you had cancer, though?"  He sighed and looked down.

"A young woman shouldn't have to worry about her father's health when she is as young as you are."  He took her hand and forced a smile.  "You do look beautiful, Mariska..."  Otori looked down at them both.

"Unfortunately, Onikan, this victory will be short lived...  Our doctor said that the chemotherapy hasn't been working on you all this time..."  Mariska blinked at this sudden realization.

"Did they determine how long he had to live?"  Otori shook his head.

"Originally, he had at least one more year, but, now that his kidney shut down because of the surgery, it could be a few months."  Mariska looked at her father and noticed for the first time his thinning hair, the dark circles under his eyes, and the cloudiness that made his once stormy gray eyes look like cirrus clouds.  Everything dropped inside her as her father reached for her hand.

"Now, Mariska...  Don't worry about me."  He glanced up at Takashi.  "Even if I won't be around much longer, I know you'll be in good hands."  Morinozuka forced a smile at his old friend.

"You know, it isn't right for a father to die without seeing his daughter happily married..."  He looked to Mariska then Takashi.  "Just like it isn't right to waste a good wedding..."  Mariska frowned at him.

"You don't mean have Takashi and I marry today, do you?"  Morinozuka chuckled.

"Don't worry, we won't make it fully official yet...  After all, you still have a year of high school to go, not to mention about 4 years at the academy."  Onikan looked up at him.

"You mean have a mock wedding of sorts so that I can see her off before I'm likely to die?"  Morinozuka nodded.

"We can get the papers and everything done today, but they don't have to live together and do everything that will be expected until further on down the road."  Onikan nodded a little.

"Then, either once I'm gone or once they're of age, they have a real wedding and start living like a real married couple?"  Morinozuka nodded.  "But, first, I suppose we should ask them what they think..."  With that, all 3 adults looked at Mariska and Takashi.  They both immediately looked at each other, and Kyoya chuckled.

"Just agree to it already!"  Takashi smiled and took Mariska's hand.

"What do you say?"  Mariska smiled at him.

"Let's do it."

In an hour, they were officially married, and everyone returned to the Morinozuka estate for the reception.  Mariska stood beside Takashi, feeling proud at the wedding rings they both wore now, as her father congradulated them both.

"I'm sorry that I have to go back to the hospital, though, Mariska.  Whether you stay with the Morinozukas or go back to the estate is up to you..."  He looked at Takashi.  "I'm trusting you with my daughter's wellbeing from here, my boy, no matter what you both decide.  You both are welcome to my estates for the time being, or she can stay alone."  Takashi looked at Mariska, and Mariska sighed.

"I think I'd rather stay with Takashi and stay where he wants to.  After all, we still have to hire new servants who didn't sell out to Hitarus."  Takashi nodded.

"It's probably for the best that we stay with my family until I graduate from the University.  Then, we'll both be ready to continue your work."  Morinozuka smiled at the two of them.

"And, until that time, with your permission, I wish to keep things running for you both so that the company stays strong."  Onikan nodded and smiled at them.

"I must say I'm proud of you both."  When Otori nodded at him, he started nodding and took his daughter's hand.  "No matter what happens from here, I want you to keep your head up as you always have..."  She nodded.

"I will."

Sorry for a shorter chapter, but that wraps up the Serious Threats section of this story and pretty much completes this story.  Huge thanks to all of you for all your support throughout the whole process of writing this story, which is now listed as #4 hottest story under the Morinozuka tag, not to mention any other recognitions this story as received (which are all listed under the main page details).  I hope you all enjoyed it, but don't feel sad!  I'm making one last short chapter, which will give you all a sneak peek into Takashi and Mariska's future together as my own little thank you to you all for your support and do hope you'll read more of my stories.  You all rule!
-Nothing4Greatness