Serious Threats- Part 8

Kyoya groaned when he woke up to the sound of his phone going off.  Yes, it was noon, but it was Sunday, and he had spent most of the night trying to figure out how to help Mariska.  Whoever was emailing him could wait...

What if it's Mariska?  He had plenty of doubts, but he knew she was smart and would reach out if she was capable.  He contemplated this for several minutes before his unnatural curiousity got the better of him.  He picked up it phone and opened the email notification.

I hope you git the safety deposit box from Takashi.  This should help connect both attempts on my father's life as well as the attack in the hospital.  You need to go back to my father's office.  Hurry, there isn't much time.
-M.

Attached was an audio file.  Kyoya smirked a little when he realized Mariska had been smarter than he took her for.  Hurrying to his computer, he opened his email and downloaded the file.  As soon as he hit play, his smile faded...

Mariska deleted the email and the recording from her phone as soon as she received the confirmation that the email was sent.  Hopefully, Kyoya would get it immediately and take it to the authorities.  She washed her hands at the sink quickly and dried them on her towel.  As she exited the bathroom, she slipped the phone into a drawer and exited her room, finding Kitosha waiting for her outside.

"Lunch is ready, my love..."  Her stomach dropped at his words, but her smile never faltered as he offered her his arm.

"Sounds lovely."  Holding onto his arm, she followed him back down to the dining room.  The smell of rice and fresh cooked fish waifed through the house, and she had to fight her nausea.

Kyoya will get the message in time.  It won't be long before the authorities arrive to save me.  As she sat down at the table for lunch, Kitosha smiled at her.

"I received a call from Father while waiting for you..."  Mariska found it harder and harder to keep her smile.  "He said that the lawyer never received the new will, so it isn't considered a valid document if he passes."  Despite her lack of appetite, she managed a small bite of food.

"I see..."  He smiled at her.

"He then said we might be able to move the wedding to tomorrow."  Mariska stared at him in shock.

"Tomorrow?"  He nodded.

"The doctor's declared Onikan brain dead this morning."  Her fork dropped from her hand.

No...  He can't be gone...  Mariska began to shake her head in defiance.

"You have to be lying..."  The smile disappeared immediately at this statement.

"Why would I lie to you about this?"  Tears welled up in Mariska's eyes as she shook her head.

"Please, tell me you are...  I'll forgive you for such a hideous joke, but please say it's a joke."  Kitosha shook his head.

"It isn't, Mariska.  They want to pull the plug next week..."  Her heart dropped to her feet, and she quietly stood up.

"Forgive me, but my appetite is gone..."  With that, she ran down the hall and up the stairs to her room, tears streaming from her face.

As soon as she made it to her room, she shut the door and locked it before collapsing on her bed, sobbing loudly.  It was the first time since her nanny, who assumed the role of a mother figure in her life, died that she had cried this much.

That's it...  It's over...  She looked at the silver engagement ring on her left hand, the one Takashi gave her the day they met.  They won...  Father's gone, and I'll have no choice but to marry Kitosha tomorrow night if things go their way.  Oh, how I wish we could have stopped them before.  She sniffed and examined the ring.  And Takashi...  I'll lose him forever...  Either this thought or the reality of her father's fate crashed over her, and she laid her head down, too weak to lift it.

Nothing was going to help her now.  The following evening, she would be married to Kitosha, never to see Takashi Morinozuka again.  She had failed him and her father, and she was going to have to live with that now.  Her tears poured down her face as she grieved.

Even if Kyoya succeeds, we can't win now.  I'll be married to a murderer tomorrow...

Kyoya was already hard at work, arguing with Morinozuka about what could be done.  He had taken everything, including the confession Mariska had sent him, to him so that they could stop Hitarus.  However, without the will, Morinozuka felt there was nothing they could do.

"If we take this forward now, what do you think will happen to Mariska?  She'll be sent to a home while the authorities review the case.  With Onikan scheduled to be unplugged next week, they're bound to overlook the case and let both men walk free."  He looked to his son and shook his head.  "I'm sorry, my boy, but there's nothing we can do.  I'm afraid your engagement is off..."  Takashi's stoic expression didn't once betray his true feelings, but both Kyoya and Morinozuka knew he was ready to break.  Kyoya nodded and turned to Takashi.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be much help..."  His thoughts lingered on Mariska's email.  "Could you escort me to my car?"  Takashi nodded and followed Kyoya out to the car.  As soon as they were outside, Kyoya looked at Takashi.  "I know you're hurt over losing Mariska, but there may be more yet.  If you are truly willing to fight for her, then say so now, otherwise I may just go save her myself from the lunatic and keep her for myself."  Takashi's eyes widen.

"I thought you believed the two of you were incompatible..."  Kyoya adjusted his glasses.

"As of right now, I'm not concerned about compatibility.  I'm concerned at the fact that her father now lies brain dead under my family's care all because this bastard has been too smart and psychotic for too long.  We can't possibly let this man get away with what he did, and, if you don't care enough about Mariska to see this through, then you definitely don't deserve to have her."  Takashi stared at him in shock before smiling.

"I'm not letting her go that easy, especially if it means getting back at the men who hurt her.  What did you have in mind?"  Kyoya smiled.

"I think Mariska knew exactly where her father's will is..."