Feyrelin one-shot

Update from months after writing this (minor ACOMAF spoilers just in the bold bit the rest is cool for anyone who hasn't read it yet)

I have now read ACOMAF and have since lost all respect for Tamlin. I'm not going to take this down because I was happy with it at the time, but just know I hate this one shot now

And back to the story...

I lie back in the grass of the glen, running my hands through it and marvelling it its texture, thinking that I had all the time in the world.

One day I would paint it. One day I would be practiced enough to capture its texture and its tone now that I was, in fact, immortal, I had forever. Forever and all the resources I would need to paint and all the space and images I could ever want.

Tamlin sat behind me in the shade of a tree, but I stayed in the sun, absorbing its warmth. I was at harmony with it all, at peace with the world, with my mind.

Lucian hadn't joined us today, claiming he was going in border patrol and couldn't spare an hour or two, which I was perfectly fine with. I had Tamlin and the warmth and the colours, and that was all I could want.

He sat beside me, pulling my head into his lap and running his fingers through my hair.

"What are you thinking about," he asked quietly as to not disturb the peace.

"Colours," I replied, "and light."

"Don't they ever overwhelm you, all the colours?" He asked as I sat up next to him. He looped an arm around my waist and pulled me against him.

"No, but they fascinate me a little more each day," I said.

"They never bore you?" He asked.

"There's always new colours to catalogue, to paint. Sometimes I wonder if I'll run out, but then I see colours I've never seen before and my thoughts become a lost cause."

"Will you paint today?" He asked, tilting his head so he could see my face. He pressed his cheek against mine and caressed my hand with his own.

"Perhaps," I said, "if I get a chance."

"We have a lot of time," he said.

"I know," I said. I leaned up and kissed him gently then said "don't you ever get tired after all this time?"

He looked away, or rather, he looked into the distance where the sky met the land. "It's a long life, but there's always something new, and in an immortal life time often blurs," he said. "Sometimes, I can go weeks, months, years and not notice a moment and sometimes the days are long, similar to mortal ones."

"What is today?" I asked.

"Today is the right mix of long and short, as in it is long enough, but I don't have quite enough time. Today is a day I wish would last a little longer than others," he explained, still eyeing the skyline.

"You've had thousands of days, and you'll have thousands more. What does one day matter?"

"If one day does not matter then what of my life? What does it matter?"

I didn't answer, but turned to where he was staring watching as a rare cloud passed across the clear expanse, creating more colours, new colours I realised. Never had I seen that exact shade of blue before, and I probably never would again. I catalogued the shade, which I would recreate when I next painted, to keep it forever.

"Today matters," Tamlin said. "As does tomorrow, and the day after. If a single day doesn't matter, what does a life? If a single life doesn't matter what does the world?"

I played these words in my mind, over and over, wondering how it might be possible to paint his speech in colour. Maybe one day I might figure it out, maybe one day I could paint sound and well as sight. I could achieve an awful lot in this lifetime, a lot more than I could as a mortal.

"Today matters, because if this day did not, then what would you matter, what would this glen, this court matter to me. If I didn't care for one day, how could I care for one day?"

And then he kissed me. I didn't expect it, and on impact I sucked in a breath before relaxing against him.

He tangled his fingers through my hair, and I thought that later Alis would have a fit on me when she had to tidy it again for my evening meal. Tamlin pulled me closer against him, arms around me, out of my hair now and running down the silk of my dress, which I had reluctantly agreed to wear. For Tamlin, because he had asked me I had stopped fighting against Alis as she forced it on me. I was happy for that now, a tunic wouldn't have been so comfortable.

"We should be getting back, Lucian wont be happy when he has to eat alone," Tamlin reminded me, not taking his lips from mine, not making any move to leave as I kissed him again. My hands were everywhere, running over every inch of him that I could reach while pulled so closely to him.

It took some time for us to leave.

---

Well its 2:30 and I still have things I need to do tonight... Like make a prompts board on Pinterest...

But my first ever ACOTAR one-shot is complete and it was so much fun to write once I got into it.

My writing is generally okay if I'm feeling the story, but if my heart isn't into it then it ain't happening!!!

I thought this was good, did you? What did you think? Want more? I can write more!

I was thinking of writing an ACOTAR or ToG fanfiction or maybe one combined, and I could have continued writing this and made it the first chapter of something, but I'm writing a shadowhunters fanfiction, amongst other things, at the moment and I rarely update then more than once a fortnight, so I don't wanna start something until I've finished.

But once I've finished my big shadowhunters fanfiction I will write something ACOTAR or ToG, probably ACOTAR, but until then I guess its just one-shot.

Actually writing a modern/real world AU is pretty tempting, so I may try that at some point. Or I could world switch ACOTAR and ToG or put them both in the same world. World switching is pretty tempting also but I really wanna write something where the two world's meet.

What would you like? You'll be the ones reading it so what takes your fancy?

UNICORN UMBRELLAS!!!!

WHY WAS THAT NECESSARY?!?!?