Gempaw and Cinderheart's kits

"Gempaw!"

Gempaw's eyes fluttered open and she yawned. She walked over to her mentor and their tails twined. Most cats in the Clan knew they were mates(unofficially, until she'd become a warrior), and although some cats congratulated the two, most were wary.

Why was that? Squirrelflight and her family were acting riled up, and were very passive aggressive about it. Leafpool tensed when Gempaw asked to clean a scratch from battle training. Others were frightened on how passionately she battled, Stormpaw returning to his mentor with a scratch on his muzzle and dismissing it.

Another thing, Bramblestar didn't like the fact he and Squirrelflight were basically joint mentors. He would obviously show his reluctance, and Squirrelflight would flinch and walk away, or get the partner training over with.

"If it means anything, I like training with you!" Stormpaw purred to Gempaw during one battle session.

"Thanks, Stormpaw." Gempaw smiled. "I'm sorry about your mentor."

"It's cool, she isn't that bad on a good day!" Stormpaw joked.

Bramblestar leaded his apprentice out of camp for a hunting session. He had shared some of his early apprentice memories with Gempaw as he promised, her listening to every word intently.

Also, what has happened in the three moons between Gempaw's apprentice ceremony and Cinderheart's kitting was tough. The Clans had become more and more intolerant of ThunderClan poking it's nose into everyone's business. Mistystar, being the daughter of a ThunderClan leader, was the most tolerant of the other three leaders.

Rowanstar however, lashed out when Leafpool tried to help when some of his apprentices had Greencough, and Onestar had started accusing ThunderClan of stealing prey off their territory.

"What are you thinking of, Bramblestar?" Gempaw asked.

"The last Gathering. You were there, the male leaders were very upset at us." Bramblestar explained.

"What for, that Leafpool wanted to help?" Gempaw shook her head. "I don't get it."

"It's a long history." Bramblestar sighed. "Dating back even before the Clans."

"What was before the Clans?" Gempaw asked. "Was Firestar around then?"

"No." Bramblestar tried not to laugh. "Waaaaaay back, before his grandfather was born probably."

"Oh. That long ago." Gempaw realized. "Do you remember any names?"

"Just Thunder and Gray Wing." Bramblestar answered. "The history that we remember is little to none since we've dealt with the Great Battle and the flood to teach history lessons."

"It sounds like a lot of history to cover than to just me!" Gempaw pointed out. "I'll track down some prey."

Gempaw ran ahead of Bramblestar.

Hmm, maybe I'll have Squirrelflight teach some of the young warriors...if she'll follow my orders, that is.

After a few minutes, Gempaw came back with a shrew and a squirrel.

"Very good." Bramblestar purred. "Let's head back."

Gempaw trotted happily into camp, she disappeared into the elder's den.

She's learned the warrior code well, but I hope Sandstorm doesn't give her any lip about being my better choice.

"Welcome back, Bramblestar." Lionblaze gave his father a small nod.

"Thank you, how are my granddaughters?" Bramblestar asked.

"Wonderful, Sandstorm shared a story about their grandfather and her when they were apprentices under Bluestar, I listened too." Lionblaze purred. "They love her stories and Graystripe's too."

"But not Purdy's?" Bramblestar half-teased.

"Oh well, that's the thing." Lionblaze sighed. "Purdy has started coughing, and he tried to tell Stormpaw a story this morning. Jayfeather had to come in and help as he was coughing."

"That's not good." Bramblestar replied. "I'll check on him later. But I want to see my grandkits. Let me go get Gempaw."

"Eh..." Lionblaze was audible enough for Bramblestar to hear as he walked away. He turned around and narrowed his eyes.

"What's 'eh'?" Bramblestar slightly growled. "Gempaw has a right."

"It'd make sense if Squirrelflight visited with you." Lionblaze explained. "But Gempaw has only been around for three moons, and you're already bringing her into the family and it's kinda..."

"Kinda what, Lionblaze?" Bramblestar curled his lip to show his teeth. "Gempaw is my mate, and she has a right to see the kits as much as any ThunderClan cat!"

Bramblestar sighed, it was the first time he referred to Gempaw as his mate. A few cats had gave glances and their ears perked, and Squirrelflight was sharing tongues with Whitewing when he said that. She coughed on Whitewing's fur and her eyes widened.

"You alright, Squirrelflight?" Whitewing whispered.

"Yea, yea, course yea!" Squirrelflight shook her head after she stammered. "I'm going to hunt!"

She left, and Gempaw came up to Bramblestar.

"Thanks for standing up for me." Gempaw purred. "Let's go see the kits."

"Oh, right! Would it be alright if I told them you were their grandmother?" Bramblestar whispered. "I know it'd be weird, but you'd be a better grandmother than Squirrelflight anyday!"

"No." Lionblaze growled. "Squirrelflight raised us, Gempaw shouldn't get the right to a title she hasn't earned."

"I'm leader!" Bramblestar rounded on his son. "I decide who gets what title, Squirrelflight's lucky she's still deputy!"

"Why would you even revoke that title?!" Leafpool hissed. "She deserved it!"

"By lying, complaining, and being stuck up. You're right! Squirrelflight did deserve that title!" Bramblestar laughed passive agressively. "Why shouldn't I listen to the she-cat that gave birth to Half-WindClan kits?!"

Leafpool flinched from the insult.

"Bramblestar, I think you're getting out of paw." Gempaw whispered. "Let's see the kits tomorrow, and we'll rest in your den. Does that sound good?"

"Yeah, sorry Gempaw." Bramblestar touched his touch to her's.

They both left into his den.

Squirrelflight watched as they did so from behind the bushes, she stiffened a cry and left to actually hunt.

StarClan, what did I do to deserve this?