Clan Blues

"Cherryfall, Snowlight, and Berrynose will be on a hunting patrol beside the ShadowClan. I'll lead the patrol."

Bramblestar saw Cloudtail purr beside Brightheart. A moon before the birth of Cinderheart's kits, Brightheart's litter became warriors: Amberdrop, Snowlight, Dewshade.

Before Bramblestar was ready to lead the dawn patrol, a certain trio of she-kits ran out of the Nursery.

"Bramblestar! Bramblestar!" they meowed in union. "Where's grandma?"

"Which one?" Hollykit asked her sisters. "Lionblaze says it's Squirrelflight, but who do you say it is?"

"Gempaw!" Sorrelkit answered.

"Don't be silly, Squirrelflight raised Jayfeather and Lionblaze!" Fernkit protested.

"Wait, isn't Leafpool our grandmother?" Sorrelkit pondered.

"Come on, kits." Brackenfur placed his tail around the three. "Bramblestar's busy now. Have a good patrol, Bramblestar."

"Thank you, let's go." Bramblestar beckoned his patrol over and they left camp.

"What about Gempaw?" Berrynose asked.

"She's been waking up earlier than me every sunrise!" Bramblestar purred. "She already set out on Spiderleg's patrol toward the WindClan border!"

"Shouldn't you be supervising your apprentice?" Cherryfall asked.

"I trust that she'll do well and-"

"Wait, Bramblestar! Look!" Snowlight ran to a half-eaten bird. "It smells of ThunderClan! One of our warriors has eaten before the elders and queens!"

"Let me see." Bramblestar walked toward it and sniffed it. He growled.

"Who was it?" Berrynose asked.

"Squirrelflight" Bramblestar said her name in the same tone someone would say "crow-food."

"The Clan deputy?!" Cherryfall gasped. "It can't be!"

"Berrynose, lead the patrol for me." Bramblestar ordered. "I'm heading back to camp."

Gempaw leaped and caught a mouse near the stream. Spiderleg nodded.

"Good job, Gempaw." Ivypool meowed.

"You're doing well in the Clan, I see why Bramblestar has pride in you." Millie added.

"Thanks, I-"

"SNAKE!"

Gempaw froze and saw a familiar orange pelt come into view. Squirrelflight ran past Ivypool and Millie and stopped dangerously close to Gempaw.

"I saw a half-eaten bird on the ShadowClan border!" Squirrelflight growled at Gempaw. "It had your scent all over it!"

"I'm confused. You weren't on Bramblestar's patrol at all." Ivypool pointed out. "How would you have known if Gempaw had eaten a bird if you weren't on the patrol?"

"You little sneak!" Spiderleg ignored Ivypool's statement and stomped over to Gempaw. "I knew you were trouble!"

"Leave her alone." Millie growled. "Let's ask Bramblestar about it first!"

Suddenly, Gempaw noticed the fur on Squirrelflight's pelt stand.

She did it to frame me! Bramblestar will believe me!

Millie and Ivypool shielded Gempaw and lead her back, her mouse in her jaws.

Bramblestar rushed back to ThunderClan camp. He stopped when he saw Bluestar blocking the camp entrance.

"Shouldn't you be back in StarClan, Bluestar?" Bramblestar muttered. "Out of my way."

"No." Bluestar snarled. "Not until you right this wrongful thing you have done."

"Oh, please." Bramblestar sighed, he walked past Bluestar. "Is this because of Firestar? Is he mad that I've upset his precious mate and daughters?"

"NO!" Bluestar shouted with rage. "If you don't kick Gempaw out of the Clan by the full moon, we will punish all of ThunderClan!"

"Except for Firestar's family, right?" Bramblestar sneered. "Do you cats back in StarClan have nothing else to do besides taunt the living?"

Bramblestar gave Bluestar a dirty look and walked back into camp.

"All cats of ThunderClan, come here!"

"Wait, Bramblestar!" Squirrelflight cried as the five cats rushed into camp. "Gempaw-"

"I already know." Bramblestar hissed.

Gempaw shook and Squirrelflight gave a smirk.

"Attention ThunderClan, it has come to my attention a certain she-cat has eaten fresh-kill without offering it to the elders. Squirrelflight?" Bramblestar called her forward.

Squirrelflight's evil stare held as she walked up to her former mate. "Yes?"

"Do you or do you not deny that you have committed this crime?" Bramblestar restrained a laugh when Squirrelflight's face fell.

"Why would I have done this?!" Squirrelflight's eyes lit with anger. "I've been your loyal deputy for moons now!"

"Have you?" Bramblestar growled. "I smelled your scent on it, Squirrelflight. So did all of my patrol."

"I didn't do this!" Squirrelflight tried fake-crying, but Bramblestar's glare didn't waver.

"As punishment, for two moons you will not be deputy, but a low apprentice. Everyone must address her as Squirrelpaw now. She will also eat last and when she isn't hunting, she'll be cleaning out the elder's den and picking their ticks. Till then, Brackenfur will hold the duty as temporary deputy." Bramblestar explained. "Anyone caught calling her Squirrelflight or feeding her will be punished. Dismissed."

Squirrelpaw looked around in horror. Leafpool looked at her sadly.

Bramblestar walked in between her and Squirrelpaw.

"I suggest you get to it, Squirrelpaw." Bramblestar snarled. "Purdy needs herbs for his cough, go fetch them from Jayfeather."

Squirrelpaw walked away.

"What about Stormpaw?" Gempaw asked as she dropped her mouse on the fresh-kill pile.

"Right, one more thing!" Bramblestar called to his Clan. "Stormpaw will now be mentored by Blossomfall till he becomes a warrior, Squirrelpaw will not be able to mentor him when her punishment is lifted. That is all."

"NO!" Leafpool cried, running to Bramblestar. "YOU CAN'T DO THIS!"

"But you can have kits?" Bramblestar sneered. "Go look for herbs, or do you want to be banished? I doubt Crowfeather will take you back!"

Leafpool shook, her eyes glassy. She quickly left. Bramblestar noticed Cinderheart's kits saw the whole thing.

"Well, it certainly isn't Squirrelpaw" Fernkit muttered. "Or Leafpool..."

"Not if Bramblestar can help it." Hollykit sighed sadly.

Bramblestar ignored them and walked off.

Gempaw took her mouse to the elder's den, where Squirrelpaw sent her a glare.

Gempaw left and shared a starling with Amberdrop and Mousewhisker. She left to Bramblestar's den. But she heard a whimper and stopped.

It was Dovewing.

Gempaw watched as Dovewing put her front paws around her belly and cried softly. Gempaw tilted her head.

What was that about?