Coke, Pepsi and Planes

Chapter two

If I told you I wasn’t the least bit scared to get on a plane I would be lying. I had never been on a plane in my life and now I was about to board one for the first time.

By myself. Alone. With no one. Talk about nerve racking.

Okay, deep breath. You can do this, I told myself. It’s just a piece of metal flying in the air according to physical principles that Newton discovered. It’s perfectly safe if you think about it in a logical way.

I snorted, yeah right. Safe my butt. The man next to me looked at me as if I had some sort of mental disorder then scooted a few inches away. Yeah I guess I probably did look weird if I was snorting to myself. Anyway, back to my inner rambling. Hm... where was I? Oh yeah...

Yeah right, safe my butt. Logical or illogical, it still might crash.

But it’s not I could go back home. Mr. Parker was sitting right next to me. He was going to make sure I made it onto the plane and didn’t run away since I already tried that. Well technically I didn’t run away, I hid in the bathroom knowing that he couldn’t come in but he did anyway.

“How long does it take to actually board a plane?” I asked an annoyed Mr. Parker.

“Go and ask that lady over there,” he snapped, pointing to the lady who was standing at a door which I assumed was where we got on. Hey, I’ve never been to an airport in my life, don’t judge me. Mr. Parker was pretty fed up with me because I kept on asking question after question. “Actually on second thought, don’t go and ask her,” he added as I started to stand up. Rolling my eyes I sat back down in my seat.

Watching a boy eat in front of me I could feel my mouth water at the sight of his sugar glazed doughnut. I tried to push away the feeling of hunger because knowing the grump next to me I wasn’t getting any food until I boarded that plane. Adverting my gaze my eyes locked on a small girl licking an ice cream cone. I watched the creamy goodness melt and dribble all over her fingers. Absentmindedly I licked my lips then quickly looked away only to have my gaze land on another person eat.

Did everyone have to eat at the same time while I was hungry? Apparently yes. I couldn’t take it anymore, my stomach was demanding I put food in it and now.

“I’m hungry,” I told grumpy.

“Then wait till you get on board,” he answered, not so nicely if I may add.

“But I’m hungry,” I whined, stretching out the word hungry.

“I said wait till you’re on board,” he snapped.

“I can’t, I need to eat.”

I saw him take a deep breath, obviously trying to calm himself down. “I said-”

“I know what you said and it’s not making me any less hungry.”

He didn’t answer, probably trying to ignore me.

Fine then, be that way, I thought bitterly.

“I’m hungry, I’m hungry,” I sang to annoy him. “I need food to fill my tummy. I’m -”

“Could you please be quiet?” Mr. Parker hissed at me.

“I’m hungry,” I stated as if he didn’t already know.

He sighed in defeat, running a hand down his face, “If I get you something to eat, will you shut up?”

“Yup,” I answered innocently. He stood up but instead of going to where they sold food he walked over to the man who had scooted away from me earlier.