Art? Not Really my Best Subject...

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry!!! I know you guys want to kill me, but I had a writer's block and by the time it had gone finals started (which are still on) so I didn't really get that much time to write anything. So hopefully this chapter is really long and I hope you guys like it.

Comment, vote and fan!!

************************************************************************

Chapter Sixteen

I never knew the world could be so cruel!

Well, actually in this case it was my father, not the world. And he wasn’t really being cruel, he had just forgotten to mention a very important detail concerning the opening night at his gallery this evening. A really important detail. And now because of my father and his very forgetful mind, I was currently cooped up in my room scribbling on a piece of paper. Scratching out the many mistakes, I scrunched up the paper and threw it into the paper basket in my room, along with the rest of the other hundred or so paper balls.

So you’re probably wondering why a teenage girl who has recently graduated from high school is cooped up in her bedroom writing on a lovely summer’s day, right? To answer your question, I was busy writing a speech. It wasn’t exactly a speech per say, more like a few words to say after he introduced me to the town in more formal manner, but still, public speaking was public speaking no matter what my dad called it. As flattered as I am, I still couldn’t help but feel slightly irritated concerning the fact he had only told me on the same day.

Sighing, I rubbed my temples as I thought of something, anything to write on the blank piece of paper in front of me. I didn’t even know why he needed an opening speech or ‘word’ as he called it. It was an art show not the opening of a new building. And to make matters worse, I knew nothing about art, nothing at all. The lowest mark I had ever gotten in school was on an art history paper. Even though a lot of people would have been ecstatic about the grade I had gotten on that paper, I wasn’t. A B+ doesn’t get you far when you want a scholarship to Columbia. I thought about calling Grace and see if she could help me seeing the fact she was a good painter but then all hope of that happening came crashing down when I accidentally dropped my phone on the ground and the screen broke into two pieces. Ah well, I needed a new phone anyway.

Frustrated, I banged my head against the wooden desk as I let out a loud groan.

“Don’t beat yourself up about it Honey. If you don’t want to do it, I can always ask someone else,” my dad commented from the hallway.

“No it’s okay dad!” I called. As much as I didn’t want to do this, I wanted to show my support. Even if it meant I had to wring my brain to do so. Besides, this was good practise for when I become a lawyer.

“Okay Nadine, think,” I muttered to myself. After a very short thinking session, I came to the conclusion that I needed chocolate in my system. Since my father wasn’t a big fan of the stuff, I had to go the supermarket to get some. I decided to walk there so I could have some time to think. I changed my clothes into a more acceptable pair of sweats pants and a white T-shirt before slipping on my sneakers and heading out of my room. I told my dad where I was going then continued my way out of the house, ten dollars richer than I was before.

As I walked, people around me whispered and pointed then they would occasionally flash me a smile. I would smile back, but let me tell you, it was really creepy having people you don’t know smile at you when two weeks ago all they would do was stare. I continued my walk with my gaze on the ground so I wouldn’t have to see anyone. I wished I had brought a pair of sunglasses to block out the sun whose apparent mission was to blind me before I reached my destination.