Yes

Chapter Twenty Three

I wanted to think that is was the empty boxes of chocolate on Grace's bed that caused Julian's reaction or something equally mortifying, but you couldn't always get what you wanted in life. 

Of course there were no empty chocolate boxes and what was going on was even more mortifying than something equivalent to empty chocolate boxes and Julian's current state of silent rage was enough proof that what I was hoping he didn't see was what he just did see. 

I think it was the feeling of hurt and betrayal that had slightly delayed Julian's course of action because he stood there, shaking with anger glaring at the two blondes who were standing a few feet away from each other, guilty expressions on their faces. It didn't take a college degree to know what he had just walked in on.

It was when Chase opened his mouth to say something that he finally snapped out of it. In three, long, angry, purposeful strides, Julian had crossed the room and grabbed Chase by the collar of his shirt. 

"Julian, please don't!" Grace pleaded, her blue eyes wide with fear.

Ignoring her, he continued to glare at his friend, breathing heavily. "I thought you were my friend," he seethed. That was all he said before his fist connected with Chase's face. 

"Julian, please! This is my fault, not Chase's." She grabbed his arm, tried to stop him from delivering another punch, but her attempts were fruitless. He aimed for his face again and Chase didn't do anything to stop him. It was like he felt that he deserved this. And in a way, he did. 

"Julian!" Grace's pleas turned into sobs but he didn't acknowledge her. I tried too, believe me I did, but there was no stopping him.

One punch after another. 

I grabbed his arm before he could land another hit and this time he actually stopped. Had I known the look I was going to get, the look of pure hatred, I wouldn't have. 

His eyes were full of pain, anger, hate and disgust. All directed at me. I think I was the one who had hurt him the most in this whole ordeal, after all I had known but made no move to tell him.

"You knew." it wasn't a question, but a statement. His voice was cold, detached and I couldn't blame him. Not for a second. I knew what I was getting myself into, I deserved this. 

I nodded. I could hear the sounds of Grace's cries, muffled by what I assumed was Chase's shirt. I couldn't even look him in the eye, so I settled for the small V of bare skin at his chest. My heart was beating faster and faster by the second and this time it wasn't the good type.

"You knew this whole time and you didn't tell me. You continued to hang out with me, knowing that my best friend was going out with my sister behind my back and you didn't tell me." With each sentence his voice grew louder. I flinched slightly at his tone but he was right.

I think for a moment he even forgot that there were two other people in the room.

He shook his head disappointedly at me. "I thought I could trust you, but clearly," he waved his hand, gesturing to the room, "I was wrong." 

"I hope the two of you live happily ever after," he spat, speaking to the two behind me.

And with that he as gone, leaving me to stare at his back. But I knew better than to feel sorry for myself. I deserved this and I knew it.

***

Chase winced as his mother put pressure on to the ice pack on his swollen face. 

"Going out behind his back! How stupid could you be?" his mother scolded.