Noire

That day was a dark day.

The light was drained out of everything. The house, the sky, everything. Her mother was acting strange. She wasn't crying- not even a look of sorrow crossed her face. Instead, she was smiling wickedly, and her hands were twitching, as if she had no control over them. Was this... denial?

"M-Mother?" Noire quietly asked. "Are you alright?"

Her mother's dark eyes darted toward her as she said, "I'm. Fine."

"O-okay..."

There was an eerie silence after that. Dread hung itself low upon Noire's head, inching into her thoughts. She told herself she wouldn't cry. 

Don't cry. 

Don't cry.

Eventually, she had to. Burying her face in the palm of her hands, she wept. It felt like an eternity, but she still kept weeping. Tear after tear. Eventually, her mother took note of it, turning her head to face Noire.

"Noire," she said in a monotone voice. Noire slowly lifted her head up, eyes red and sorrowful.

"Promise me, you won't die, like him..."

Her mother's whole body was shaking in her seat, like she was restraining herself. But from what? Noire, while scared by her mother, replied with, "O-okay."

Her mother gave her a look- a look that made anyone scared if they saw- and said, "Don't worry, Noire. I'll make sure it'll never come to that..."

A tear rolled down her cheek. It was the first time Noire saw her mother cry.

Don't cry.