1. The New Plan

Sherwood Forest was eerily quiet. Shourya Pradhan shivered when the alpine tree next to him rustled with a sudden freezing gust of wind. The last night's snow hadn't melted yet, leaving a blanket of white spread on the path. The weather was turning chillier every minute, making the hair at the back of his neck stand. Although, that could just be the agitation he was feeling to meet him. He walked slowly, taking all the time he could before he had to finally face him. As he trudged along, he pushed a leaning tree branch out of his way, making chunks of snow fall on his fur coat.

A few miles further, he reached the entrance and stepped into the cave, swallowing the bile rising in his throat.The guard standing with a long spear in his hand gave him a menacing smile as Shourya enquired, "Is he inside?"

The guard nodded and said, "Be careful, he is brutal today. Try not to anger him."

Shourya shook with slight trepidation staring at the guard blankly and then walked past him. Sky was clear now after the thunderous storm that surfaced last night and sun was shining bright but insides of the cave was dimly lit making it difficult for Shourya to find his way. The stalactites hanging on the walls of the cave were different this time, reminding him the teeth of a giant, dripping tiny droplets from the melting snow.

At once Shourya froze when a shrill cry reverberated from deep inside the cave. The guard wasn't joking. He must be in a killing spree. Surprisingly, the cry helped him find his way. Deeper he went into the cave, chillier it turned. After what seemed an eternity Shourya finally reached the open space of the cave where his eyes first caught the two silhouettes, one lying on the ground motionless with blood oozing out of his mouth and other standing over him, facing backwards at Shourya, his head bent down. He walked much closer only find out the dead person was his companion who came back to him first with a disastrous news. The scene made his stomach hurl. That could have been him, if he had come up with the news first. He closed his eyes tight and licked his upper lip giving all his might to push away the apprehension.

Right next to him stood an old lady. Draped in a knee length saree and holding a long wooden walking stick, she looked fragile and weaker than the last Shourya had seen her. He gritted his teeth in detest. She could be old and frail, but her actions can never come under list of forgiveness. All this wouldn't had happened if she was left with some humanity.

"Shourya!" the man said with a grating voice. "I see you finally arrived. Now what information did you bring?"

Shourya tried to chose his words accurately. "Only to confirm that we are truly deceived. They are still alive. We have been misled."

The old lady caught Shourya's eye and quickly looked away unable to look at the loathsome eyes of Shourya.

The brutal man sneered and said with utmost indignant, "How...How can I be wrong? None of them are the people I thought they were. Not even close."

"Might I suggest we should start again?" Shourya said trying to be productive and trying hard to not end up like the person on the ground.

"Shourya, you have been successful in supplying me the information about the twelve, how can you not know the truth?" he said.

"I have always done whatever you asked me for, Shashi," said Shourya looking down, "I can never doubt your orders... or hers."

Shourya watched the old lady shiver across him. He couldn't deny but he despised her. If one person out there he wished to be dead, he would chose her.

"Yes, I know it's not your fault" said Shashi, taking the leg out of the dead person, "I shouldn't have kill your friend, but he brought me with the news that I couldn't control myself."

He threw his fist in the air in frustration and continued, "I should have been more careful before I took the step to kill. I should have known they weren't the twelve when I killed the first one."

"And may I comment that we had no proper reason to kill the others." Shourya let his thoughts speak before he was too scared to let him know.

Shashi lifted his head before he said, "While I appreciate your loyalty Shourya, I do not think you can comment on my choices. Are you questioning my authority?"

"No," Shourya said quickly, "Never Shashi. My apologies." Only because Shashi mentioned it wasn't his fault, that doesn't mean he was off the hook. Shashi was always unpredictable. Messing up with him could lead to an instant death.

"Let's get to the business now," said Shashi interrupting his thoughts, "Shourya, I need you to find me someone who can be more useful than her."

The old woman glanced at Shourya and then back to Shashi trying to protest. "Please, you can't..."

"Back off, Zarina!" Shashi snarled, "I had enough guidance from you. Lucky for you, after all that you have done you are still breathing. I hope you don't want to be in his position, do you?"

He pointed at the dead man on the rock. Zarina sighed but she didn't stop her selves from speaking.

"Listen to me for one last time," she pleaded, stepping up, "I may be wrong in predicting them but I cannot be wrong completely. I do think the people we are searching for, are somehow related to them."

"What do you mean?" Shashi said with sudden curiosity.

"We managed to kill the whole family, but unfortunately we missed out atleast one of their children from each family. It can not be a co incident, and in no way they can be that fateful."

"You mean..."

"My great granddaughter, she might help you. We must find her before she falls into other's laps."

"Why her?" said Shourya skeptically, "Aren't you supposed to be the most powerful?"

"I am old now," she said with a cold voice, "I have a feeling that my powers are being passed down to her. Shashi, for the last time I request you to put your men in search for her."

Shashi turned around completely to face her. Shourya was now able to see the eerie scar on his face that ran down from his left eye to his left cheek bone. He was still staring at her when the wind penetrated deep inside howling harder like a hungry animal, sending a chill down his spine.

"This is your last chance Zarina," said Shashi, "and if you fail this time, I will not hesitate to punish you."

She nodded calmly at his threat and stood her ground.

"Where do you think we can find your great granddaughter?"

"I have no knowledge in this area. But if we keep tracking the twelve very kids, I am sure we will be able to find her through them", she replied.

"Fine," he said, "Shourya, get to work. Start searching for her. Bring her to me as soon as possible."

Shourya gave a single nod and turned around to walk out of the cave.

-x-