Prologue

"So," he starts, taking a sip of his scotch. How he managed to get alcohol without so much of a question for his ID, I don't know. "How old did you say you are again?"

I blink and lick my lips, feeling slightly annoyed as his eyes rest a little too long on my cleavage, before flickering back up to mine.

"16."

He smiles, lowering his head a little as he lets out a low chuckle.

"What?" I question, growing more irritated by the second.

"Nothing, nothing," he shakes his head, still smiling. "It's just that...16 is my favorite age."

I scoff and cringe simultaneously.

Is this just a joke to him? Am I really just here for his amusement?

"Okay," I say placing down my fork. "I think I'm just going to go." I stand, smoothening out my velvet dress.

"Wait, Harper" he calls in a serious tone. "Stay, I'm sorry."

I look back to him to see him waiting for me to sit back down. I sigh and sit.

"I just want to help you," he says solemnly.

"Help me with what?" I question.

"Look, once a year, around May, there's the Hamilton Ball. Every year, they'll give out scholarship money or business investments to select members of the graduating class. The highest amount being $500,000. This, as you know, is where you need to go. But it's not just for Lockwood, there are 20 schools in the area, and you need to be invited by the Hamilton family."

My eyebrows furrow and my mouth gapes slightly. I thought the ball's invitations were given by the choice of Lockwood's staff and administration.

"For that, you'll have to climb, or more so claw your way to the top of the social ladder. Luckily for you, I'm me, and there are plenty of social events here in the Upper East Side that I have connections to."

"So you'll help me then?" I ask, ignoring his arrogance.

He nods and my heart flutters.

I tilt my head to the side, studying him for any faults with narrowed eyes.

"Well, you must want something, right?"

He sits forward a little, smiling like I just told a funny joke.

"Now why would you think that?" Holden asks, reaching forward to place his hand in mine. Realizing his intentions, I quickly pull my hands from the table and drop them in my lap.

"Everyone wants something," I reply solemnly, and he looks at me carefully. It's true--money, fame, an acceptance letter from Yale--everyone has something they yearn for. "Especially guys like you."

He raises his eyebrows, leaning back in his seat.

"I suppose I could help you, for the price of...deflowering you," he smirks evilly at me, a devilish look in his eyes.

Wait, what?

My virginity?

"You can't be serious," I scoff in bewilderment, eyes widening.

"As serious as a heart attack."

"How do you know I'm even a virgin?" I counter defensively.

"I just know."

I open my mouth quickly to respond but he cuts me off.

"Are you?"

My mouth snaps shut and I exhale loudly through my nose, crossing my arms.

Who the hell does he think he is?

I examine the boy before me, from his sculpted facial features to the tiny, barely noticeable, blob-like birthmark on his neck.

His chestnut eyes shine with amusement and mischief.

It's not that he isn't good looking--he is. But I always saw myself giving my virginity to someone I loved. Some people don't care, and that's fine, but this is my body, and I make the decisions.

Was I really going to hand off my virginity to some pompous, self-righteous, millionaire asshole for the chance of Yale? My dream?

I came all this way. I don't know if I could do this without him. This is Holden Frasier.

And as much as I hate to admit it, in this particular instance, I need him.

"Okay," I sigh. "Fine."

A wicked grin spreads across Holden's face as soon as the words leave my mouth.

Holden reaches his hand out to me, raising his eyebrows.

"So we have a deal? I help you, essentially get into Yale, in return for your virtue?"

No, we do not.

By the time I get my money, I'll be gone. Or maybe he'll even forget.

His voice is so compelling and classy. Him asking me to trade him my virginity sounds like he's going over a business deal that he's sure he has the upper hand in.

I sigh deeply, looking into his his alluring brown eyes, as I place my hand firmly in his for a proper handshake.

"Deal."