22 - Harperella

Every girl fantasizes about finding her Prince Charming. But if that Prince refuses to come a girl has to take matters into her own hands.

++++++

Becca squeals as she approaches the lunch table and sits in the empty seat beside me that I've left for her.

"Elijah asked me to prom!"

The girls mimic Becca's giddiness with similar squeals. I smile.

"Told you," I sing picking an olive out of my salad and plopping it into my mouth. I've been bugging Elijah to ask her for over a week and now he finally has.

"You didn't say anything to him?" She questions, doubt in her voice.

"No!" I lie, shaking my head. "Didn't have to."

I see the corners of her mouth twitch upward slightly as she turns her attention back to her food; it makes me feel good. Her little crush on him is adorable.

"What about you Harper?" Sara asks.

"What about me?"

"Have you decided, like, who you're going with?" She asks carefully. I'd specifically asked them all not to ask me anymore about Holden. I don't want to think about him or talk about him. I'm trying my best to pretend he doesn't even exist, which is pretty fucking hard.

I shrug. "No one wants to go with me, I guess."

"Harper, I don't know if you, like, forget this sometimes, but everyone loves you," Becca says obviously.

"Everyone does not love me," I roll my eyes.

"Oh they do," Alejandra refutes. "And if they say they don't, they really do. And if they really don't, they'll pretend they do. Either way they do."

Becca tilts her head slightly and purses her pink lips like she's trying to do the calculations.

"The point is you need to pick someone to go to the prom with," she shakes her head. The two of them have mourned my breakup with me, but they'd forbid me from staying home from prom. I knew they'd bring up this date situation eventually.

"I don't just get to pick," I say, pushing around the lettuce with my plastic fork. "People have to ask me."

"They're nervous!" Becca rolls her eyes.

Nervous?

"I mean, who wants to take Holden Frasier's ex to prom right after they broke up?" she shrugs, dipping her fry in ketchup.

I sigh and rest my head in my palm, glancing at Holden for a second, who sits across the cafeteria smiling at Jake. My heart clenches and I close my eyes for a second trying to clear my mind.

"So, then I don't have a date."

"Listen, Harper, you're wrong. You absolutely get to pick. Just tell us who you want to go with, and we'll get them to ask you," Alejandra shrugs. "Anyone."

I lick my lips and shrug. Who do I want to go with? I don't know? Holden? No. No, I don't know. Prom is in 8 days. I have a dress from when I was with Holden, but I will not go by myself.