16 - Christmas time in the city

Hear those silver bells? It's Christmas time in the city. Some families actually do make the yuletide gay, managing to leave their troubles far away. Other families have a merry little Christmas, even when their troubles aren't so far away. Some presents might end up getting returned. Other presents come when you least expect them. And everyone knows the biggest present comes in the smallest box. Then there are those boxes you wish you had never opened. Have a holly jolly Christmas.

+++++++

The door bell sounds and I set down the ornament in my hand, taking a step away from our tree, but Aunt Lindsey yells from down the hall that she's got it.

"Holden, it's nice to see you," I hear her say as I reach for the ceramic candy cane ornament again. "Elijah isn't in right now."

"That's alright I came to see Harper."

My eyebrows furrow and my heart jumps. Why did he come to see me? Why didn't he just text me like a normal person? Or at least text that he was coming?

"Oh," Aunt Lindsey says, taken back. I can tell by her tone she's unnerved. She's never liked me spending time with Holden. "Come in," she says warily.

My eyes widen and I jump over ornaments and lights as I try to get to the stairs.

"Harper you--" I hear Aunt Lindsey start as she enters the living room just as I reach the top step. "Harper?" She calls out in confusion but I stay put in my room.

I groan lowly as I quickly pull my hair into a bun. I haven't touched it in 2 days and the curls that had reverted back after Sundays wash were now stringy and frizzy.

"Harper?" I hear Holden's voice from the doorway and I groan again turning around with an oily, makeupless face and disgusting hair.

"Yes, Holden?" I sigh.

"Wow, don't sound so excited to see me," he chuckles plopping down on the edge of my bed. Surprisingly he doesn't look disgusted as he looks me up and down. "Nice pajamas, " he smirks at my burgundy silk shorts and matching silk tank top.

I roll my eyes. "People usually call before they show up at someone's house."

"I was already in the neighborhood," he shrugs. "I gotta tell you something," he smiles as he stands up.

"What?" I raise my eyebrows and cross my arms. His eyes flicker down to my chest for a second and I frown at him.

"Frasier Casinos," he beams. "What do you think?"

"I'm not sure I know what you mean," I say truthfully.

"That's it. A casino. That's how I'll get out of going to fucking Duke or whatever and ensure that I'll become the dominate owner of the company when my dad retires."

I lick my lips and stare at him silently. The longer I look at him the more his million dollar smile starts to fade away.

"You're going to open a casino by the end of this school year?" I ask slowly.

He thinks for a second. "You can accomplish any dream as long as you have determination and the means to finance it."

"Holden, you're 17. You can't even get in to a casino."

"Actually I've--"

"That's alright you don't have to tell me," I cut him off shaking my head.

"I already talked to my dad and our lawyer. I just have to put everything in my father's name, then when I turn 21 I legally become the owner."

I stare at him longer. How do I tell him that there's no way in hell this is going to work?

"That's great!" I hear myself say.