23 - when the clock strikes 12

Dreams. Everybody has them. Some good. Some bad. Some you wish you could forget. Sometimes you realize you've outgrown them. Sometimes you feel like they're finally coming true. And some of us just have nightmares. But no matter what you the dream, when morning comes, reality intrudes and the dream begins to slip away.

++++++

"I mean who the hell is this guy?" Holden asks Jake incredulously shaking his head as they round the corner.

"He's on the basketball team, man," Jake explains.

"I fucking know that," Holden rolls his eyes. "But I've never even seen him before. Not once have I seen him in school."

Holden had told Jake repeatedly he "doesn't give two shits about what Harper's up to" but this prom thing was proving the opposite.

"He's like our best player," Jake murmurs. He knows who Trevor is and knows Holden's probably met him before too and just doesn't remember it.

"Whatever," Holden spits, getting angrier. They reach The Annabelle and the doorman holds open the door for them, giving a smile that Holden's too pissed to return.

"Mr. Frasier," he nods. "These came for you today," he smiles, handing Holden a stack of envelopes.

Holden mumbles a thanks as he takes them, flipping through them as he and Jake make their way to the elevator and up to the top floor.

Cornell University, Syracuse University, Duke University, Columbia University...

Jake reads the front of the envelopes as Holden flips through them then looks at Holden for a response. Emotionlessly, Holden opens the front door to his suite and tosses the envelopes on the counter.

Jakes face morphs into confusion.

"Bro..." he questions, shutting the door behind him. He follows Holden to the kitchen area and sits at the island. "Aren't you going to look at these? Read them?" He asks incredulously, motioning towards the envelopes in front of him.

Holden shrugs as he scans the contents of the fridge trying to focus on his hunger instead of anxiety over the contents of those envelopes.

"Why? Fuck college. I'm starting a business," he says.

"But you haven't really..."

"It'll happen," Holden assures. It has too.

"Why not do both?" Jake asks.

"Because I hate school," Holden says loudly, slamming the fridge shut. He turns around, sighing as he sits across from Jake, eyeing the envelopes.

"But you love lacrosse," Jake points out. "You can keep playing, your dad will be happy, everyone wins. College is different than high school, man. It's better."

"Since when are you excited about going to college?" Holden asks, eyebrows raised.

Jake shrugs. "I don't know. I was talking to Lydia the other day about it. She changed my whole view about it."

It's quiet a second, Jake thinking about Lydia, Holden thinking about tearing the envelopes open. He can't decide if being rejected would be more disappointing than getting in and actually having to go.