3 - insider/outsider

Looks like H might end up with a boy and a ticket to the inner circle. Or will he end up with another victim? I told you I love parties.

+++++++

"Where'd you get that dress? It's--"

"Your mom bought it for me," I cut Elijah off with an annoyed look as we walk down the street. "And if you tell me it's too short, I will seriously punch you in the face."

Elijah holds up his hands in defense. "Fine. But are you sure you want to come to this party?"

I nod.

"What I meant is, are you sure you can handle coming to this party?"

I stop walking and look at Elijah solemnly, who also halts and looks down at me.

"I doubt Lydia is throwing that kind of party, Elijah," I say in annoyance. "How many times do I have to say I'm fine?"

Elijah sighs, shakes his head, and continues walking.

We walk another block and I follow him to the steps of a beautiful apartment building, where the doorman smiles and let's us in.

On the 9th floor, the elevator doors ding open and we step out into a spacious, classily furnished, well designed apartment.

Teenagers laugh and dance to mainstream music with glasses of champagne in their hands.

They're wearing cocktail dresses, not mini skirts and bralets.

They're drinking champagne and beer, not a mixture of Sprite and codeine cough syrup.

"Elijah!" Lydia chirps, coming into view and running up to us. "You're here!" She averts her attention to me, pursing her lips. "And you brought the interloper," she smiles falsely while eyeing Elijah with furrowed eyebrows.

What happened to everyone's invited?

"Lydia," Elijah says sternly, ready to defend me from her intolerance.

"It's okay, Elijah," I say, smiling as sweetly as I can manage. "Lydia, I really like your dress."

Lydia glances down quickly at her attire and then looks at me with her head held a little higher.

"Thanks. Drinks are on the counter,"she informs, tossing her hair over her shoulder and sauntering off to talk to someone.

Elijah turns and looks at me in suspicion.

"Just trust me," I tell him calmly and walk off.

Holden and I had run through what I should and shouldn't do at the party tonight, and come up with step one in our plan to essentially get me into Yale.

Step One: Become apart of Lydia O'Connell's inner circle.

Apparently, I don't need to be Lydia's BFF, I just need to be one of her followers. Holden says, Lydia doesn't really have friends, she just has admirers. Besides Elijah, Holden, and her boyfriend, Jake, she was alone.

"Maybe that's the problem," I told Holden. "Maybe Lydia just needs a female best friend."

Holden shook his head and laughed dryly. "No," he said. "Lydia doesn't want a girl best friend because she doesn't like to be outdone. Lydia likes the spotlight at all times, and she won't let anyone steal it from her. That's why all her real friends are guys. That's why she surrounds herself with an army of followers, who won't try to outshine her. Don't cross Lydia, she's your ticket in. You don't need to outdo her, you just need to be seen."