Chapter 15

Amber's POV

☠ ✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠

Today was my date with Nick. I had to say, I was a little nervous. I hadn't talked to Peyton, Axel, Matt, or Ryder. Especially not Ryder.

Sushi was cancelled, since the only close sushi place was under repairs. We decided to go out to Bertucci's instead.

"Amber, honey," my mom's honeysuckle voice drifted up into the living room where I was sitting and waiting. "There's something I have to tell you..."

I looked up and saw her figure enter the room. She looked tired but still managed to keep a smile on her face. "Hey, mom."

Mom looked at my attire. "Where are you going, tonight? Do you have plans with Ryder? I don't recall Angie saying anything..."

Groaning, I put my face in my hands. "You guys talk to each other about us? That's so embarrassing!"

She laughed and sat down on the couch next to me. "Seriously, where are you heading out to?"

I felt sheepish telling my mom the truth. Why did I feel so awful? Admitting the truth always took a large amount of courage.

"I have a date tonight with someone from school. His name is Nick," I explained, describing him.

Mom listened, intently. "You and Ryder broke up?" Was all she asked after I told her.

Rolling my eyes, I opened my mouth to respond, but quickly shut it when the doorbell rang.

Springing up, I skipping to the door and opened it, revealing Nick. He looked casual, wearing jeans and a polo. I was happy that I kept my outfit on the casual side with a simple black skirt and a light pink sweater and my gray booties.

"'Bye mom!" I called, grabbing my purse and shutting the door before my mom had a chance to continue interrogating me about Ryder.

Nick smiled at me. "You look really nice," he complimented, looping his arm through mine and walking me to his car.

Opening the door for me, I got in and strapped in my seatbelt. I felt a little bad for shutting my mom down like that, but I was so tired of everyone interrogating me.

He kept small talk going for the whole ride, which luckily, wasn't too long. I felt a little awkward with him, now.

"Table for two, please," he said to the host. To me he said, "I've always wanted to say that."

Giving him a fake laugh, I followed him to the table. The restaurant was packed with families and couples.

"Hi," a new voice said, "I'm Vincent and I'll be serving you guys today."

Vincent seemed nice enough, but I guess he had to since it was his job.

"I'll take a Sprite, please," Nick ordered.

Looking down at the drink section on the menu, I skimmed the choices. "I'll take the raspberry iced tea, thanks."

Vincent nodded, and left with our orders.

"So...what did you do today?" I asked, trying to make small talk with Nick.

Nick played with a sugar packet. "Nothing, really. I basically just helped my mom out with her gardening. She's totally freaking out because she accidentally bought pansies instead of hemerocallis," Nick said, letting out a small laugh.