What happened to Samantha Boyce?

On the run again. But this time, it was only me. 

It was quite refreshing, actually. Last time it was just me was when I ran away with Owen. Even then, I was with Owen. 

As I drove, I noticed how eerily silent it was. It was maybe eleven at night, so that could've been a plausible reason. But it was just me on the road. 

My eyes were slowly drooping closed. The night was warm and humid, my favorite kind. 

Lucky for me, a sign that said 'LODGING' came up. I quickly turned, and drove until I found the crummy hotel. 

Not even hotel, it was more like a motel. Small, broken, and empty. Perfect. 

I parked and went inside to the main building. An old woman was sitting behind the desk, knitting something that looked like maybe a scarf? More like a blob...

"Hi, just me," I said, digging through my purse for my wallet. I had emptied out my bank account. It was all cash now, sitting in my wallet. 

The lady put whatever she was knitting down and gave me a smile, revealing her crooked teeth. I would've been a little frightened, but I was much too tired. "What's a pretty doll like you doing here?" she asked. 

I took out my wallet and counted out some change. "I'm traveling to my sisters house and I got lost a few times," I lied easily. I counted out a couple of twenty dollar bills and put them on the counter. "Now, all I'd like to do is rest and be on my way in the morning." 

She gave me a funny look but nonetheless accepted my money and gave me the key to the room. 

I slid the key off the counter and into my palm, turning around and walking right back outside and towards my room. 

It was on the second floor of the building and farthest away, nestled into a corner. 

Eventually I walked to it and unlocked it revealing the crappiest room I had ever stayed in. It looked like no one had ever cleaned it. 

But I didn't have a choice. I was much too tired to drive. I had been awake for three days driving and occasionally stopping for gas or a snack. Hell, I hadn't even eaten a full meal for three days. 

Practically floating into the unmade bed, I allowed myself to cherish this moment of bliss. I was just too exhausted to feel any stress or regret my decision. 

Of course I regretted leaving Amber like that. I felt insane, almost. Maybe I was. But if Owen found me again, he would surely call the police. He threatened to when he saw me that night when Amber was on her little date. 

Amber...

Everything I had said to her during our fight I regretted. Clearly, I had a lot of regrets. 

I was thirty five and too old to be running away from Owen. 

That's why right after I rested up in the motel, returned the key, I headed over to an old friend. 

"Samantha Boyce," he said, looking me up and down. 

I tapped my foot impatiently. I felt like I was back in high school again, getting a fake I.D to get into a club with my friends. "Daniel," I greeted him, giving him one nod. 

Daniel gained weight. He grew a beard and when he smiled, his teeth were all yellow and stained. I remembered when he used to be a football player. Popular, good-looking, and my ex-boyfriend. 

He let me inside his crummy apartment. It was ten times worse than the motel. Lucky for me, I wouldn't be staying here overnight. At least, I hoped I wouldn't. 

"Is it ready?" I demanded, going through my purse to get the money out. 

We were in what I assumed to be his bedroom. There was too much mess for me to really tell. I wanted to clean everything up, but I wasn't too sure what I would find. 

"Yeah, yeah," he grumbled. He picked up a large orange envelope and tossed it to me. 

Catching it, I opened it up and peered at my new identity. 

I had a new license, passport, and a manuscript of my new self. 

That brings us to now. 

My name is Valerie Hatch. I was born in California. My parents abandoned me when I was younger and I was put in foster care ever since. I graduated High School, went to Pasal College in Ohio for art, and never married. 

I currently am employed as a middle school art teacher in New York. 

Yes, from time to time I think about Amber Boyce and wonder what she's doing. I see some of her posts on social media and know that she is in good hands and that she is happy. I also see photographs of her and Owen Boyce. 

And I am okay with that because I am no longer running. 

A/N: hi guys! a little thing to tie up Samantha. I think after I finish my other novel (go check it out!) I'll write a little bit about Samantha. 

Check out The Reality of Growing Up on my page! I'm putting my other one on hold for this novel. 

Thanks for reading! 

-elizabeth