Chapter 20

☠ ✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠

AMBER POV

☠ ✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠✿☠ ✿☠ ✿☠                  

As soon as I got home I knew something was wrong. For starters, Ryder and his mother were sat in the living room along with my mom.

When I entered, my mom sprung up and looked angrier than I had ever seen her. Honestly, it scared me how furious she looked.

"Where have you been?" she demanded, marching up to me. She was s little shorter than me, so I had to look down at her.

Angie, Ryder's mother, stood up and placed a hand on my mother's shoulder, almost as if she was trying to restrain her.

When I realized her fury was caused because of my dad, I also became angry. "I went to see Dad," I calmly answered her, waiting for her to blow up. It felt weird saying "dad" in a sentence. I had never had to use that word before, so it gave a strange feeling to me. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

My mom's voice got steely calm. "You did...what?" she all but spat.

Angie gently tried to move my mother away from me. "It's okay, Samantha. She's almost an adult now."

My gaze went to Ryder, who looked a little frightened at the sight. His face was pale and he sat on the couch, tense.

He made eye contact with me and seemed to be trying to say something, but I just didn't understand.

He stood up. "Mom, I think we should let them be alone for a while."

Angie looked like she wanted to protest, but she still let her son sway her away from the both of us.

When they left, Mom's face got red again. "I cannot believe you. You know that I didn't want this. All the years of hard work I've done for you. You're so ungrateful!"

I hadn't heard criticism from my mom before, and it hurt me. I looked at her in disbelief. "Hard work? Are you crazy?" I fired back. "I want my dad. I hated all the moving and all the creepy guys you married. What was wrong with dad?"

"He couldn't hold a job! He got me pregnant with you and he couldn't get a job to support the both of us. I did what I had to do so you could have a good life!" And now she was crying. Big, fat tears rolled down her cheeks and splashed onto the hardwood floor.

I felt exhausted. "So you left him? How do you think that made him feel? Jobless and his family left him. You got married to him, and hell, you still have his last name. I'm his kid, too!"

Mom frantically shook her head so hard, I thought she was actually having a seizure or something. "You messed everything up! You think I wanted you? I went from perfect child to the black sheep. Why do you think no one in my family talks to me anymore? I used to have it all and he took it away from me!" She started laughing, maniacally. If I had been scared before, now I was terrified.

Her words left a sick feeling in my stomach. So all I was to her was a giant regret. "You know what?" I finally said. This was the last straw and I felt awful but at the same time, I felt so good. I couldn't stop and I knew that I should've before I said something that I truly regretted, but I just couldn't help it. In the moment, it felt good.