7. CinderpeltXLittlecloud

Cinderpelt glanced over her shoulder warily, a bundle of catmint and burdock root clamped firmly in her jaws.
It was a little past midnight, and darkness hung like a thick black sheet over the ThunderClan camp.
Her heart ached in her chest as she saw the warriors' den, outlined against the pale glow of the moon.
If only.... Cinderpelt thought, but pushed the feeling from her mind.
No. It was never meant to be.
Clearing her head, Cinderpelt turned and padded silently towards the dirtplace tunnel, keeping her pawsteps light so as not to disturb Cloudtail, who kept guard nearby, his thick white pelt jutting out like snow against shadows.
Cinderpelt wrinkled her nose as the foul stench of dirt hit her nostrils, but she just flattened her ears and rushed as fast as she could out of camp.
As she cleared the tunnel and entered the forest, she relaxed, though remained wary in case any cats decided to go on nightly hunts.
Her gaze darting through the shadowed ferns around her, she thought of how Tigerclaw had attacked the camp with rogues' help, driving Bluestar into madness at her deputy's betrayal.
Cinderpelt shook her head again and slowed, recognizing the hollow oak tree where the two ill ShadowClan cats, Littlecloud and Whitethroat, rested, begging her for help so their Clan wouldn't be wiped out by a disease brought from the rats at Carrionplace on their territory.
Glancing around quickly, Cinderpelt slid into the hollow tree, her fur prickling at the thick, hot scent of sickness.
Her eyes instantly found Littlecloud. The small pale brown tabby tom was curled up in the right corner, Whitethroat pressed against him.
Her heart fluttered as Littlecloud looked up, his warm amber gaze meeting hers in the darkness.
A pang gripped her chest as she saw his eyes, crusty at the edges, although his pelt looked more glossy and his voice sounded less hoarse, since Cinderpelt had been giving the two the remedy for the sickness for the past two moons.
Dropping the herbs at her paws, she murmured, "I'm here."
Whitethroat looked up, blinking drowsiness from his gaze. His green eyes brightened upon seeing Cinderpelt. Like Littlecloud, his eyes were still crusty, but both were healing quickly, much to Cinderpelt's pleasure.
"Cinderpelt!" Littlecloud purred, and her pelt crawled at his warm, happy voice... almost as if he was happy she had came.
How could I not?
She looked away, her pelt burning under his gaze, and mumbled, "I'll get started mixing this up, then I'll go hunt for some prey."
Littlecloud sat up, reaching over the small space to touch his nose, now cool and smooth, to her nose.
"Nonsense, Cinderpelt. We can hunt for ourselves in the outskirts of the territories," he insisted.
"Of course not!" Cinderpelt snapped, her head flipping up at the thought of Littlecloud going out at night into a territory filled with rogues, foxes, and badgers.
"I'll hunt for you, and that's final," she insisted firmly. Littlecloud opened his mouth to protest, but Cinderpelt thrust her tail into his mouth, causing him to choke on her fur.
Whitethroat purred in amusement, a hint of a rasp in it but otherwise smooth.
Good. Soon they can go home, and bring the remedy to their Clan.
A reluctant pang shook Cinderpelt, as if she didn't want the ShadowClan cats to leave.
Shoving the thoughts aside, she began chewing up the burdock root, the rough skin brushing against her teeth. When she finished, she spat the pulp onto her paw and scooped up the catmint. It tasted minty and sweet in her jaws, causing a trail of drool to roll down her jaw. Licking it up quickly, she spat the catmint onto her paw, mixing it with the burdock root. She rubbed it together thoroughly, then poured the now grinded up pulp onto the oak leaf she used to carry the burdock and catmint with.
Passing the leaf to the two toms, she sat back and washed her paws, cleaning up the last of the juices of the pulps.
When Littlecloud and Whitethroat had both taken their doses, Cinderpelt meowed, "I'll be right back."
She scrambled out of the hollow tree, but was surprised when Littlecloud followed.
His pelt brushed hers on the way out, sending a jolt of electricity through her skin.
She swallowed quickly, looking away.
"Thank you," Littlecloud breathed as they walked for a while.
Cinderpelt didn't meet his gaze. "For what?" she asked softly.
"For being you," Littlecloud responded quietly.
Cinderpelt's heartbeat picked up, throbbing against her chest. Her head felt light and she swallowed before stammering, "Er, t-thanks."
Littlecloud stopped, looking at her intently.
Cinderpelt stopped, too.
"If things were different..." he whispered so softly Cinderpelt had to strain to hear him as his words got caught on the night breeze.
"They can't. Your ShadowClan, and I... I'm ThunderClan," Cinderpelt whispered.
Littlecloud brushed his cheek against hers. "That doesn't matter. We're friends... more than that.." he paused, looking away quickly as if embarrassed he had said that aloud.
"I... I feel the same way," Cinderpelt whispered.
"Then... then let's be together! Run away, be free! We... we can take Whitethroat, too! He won't judge, and we're all friends!" Littlecloud offered quickly, his eyes sparkling at the thought.
"I... I can't. ThunderClan needs me. I'm sorry, Littlecloud, but I can't leave them," she choked out, her heart splitting as his face fell.
He looked at her, his eyes filled with longing. "Then we'll still see each other!" he declared, slamming a paw down as if to approve of his outburst.
At Cinderpelt's baffled look, Littlecloud continued confidently, "I'll be a medicine cat! Runningnose doesn't have an apprentice, so it'll be okay, and he can't decline, since he's getting older by the day. The warrior code doesn't deny that medicine cats can't be close, does it?" Littlecloud blurted.
"Oh, Littlecloud! I love that idea, but you can't sacrifice being a warrior for me!" Cinderpelt exclaimed, her heart aching as she thought of forcing him into having the same fate as her.
Littlecloud shook his head firmly. "I'm too small to be a true warrior, anyway. I know that's what every cat thinks. It'll be alright. I want this. To be with you. I need this. To be together forever, pawsteps leading in the same path of StarClan and herbs."
Cinderpelt was touched by his words. Her throat closed up with emotion, she leaned into him, pelts brushing, and whispered, "Together forever, love."