Surprise

AN: AU no wolves.

Stiles is blind.

%%%%

Derek looked up to the burnt out husk of his old home. 10 years... 10 years since the fire. He had once promised himself he would never come back here. Never face this sight again. Scowling at the standing proof, reminder, nightmare come true of what had happened all those years ago.

He turned one last time away from the burnt mansion and shook the contractors hand and told them to take it down. The bulldozers and heavy machinery all started up and he walked to his Camaro and left feeling like he could take a breath for the first time ever since he had crossed back into Beacon Hills city limits.

He headed to town deciding it would be a good idea to go see his Uncle Peter. He was the reason that he was here after all. After ten years in a mental institution reaparing his broken psyche Peter's head Dr had called him and asked him to come and spend time helping Peter to adjust to outside life. Dr Deaton had been adamant Derek being the one to come and live with Peter for a while.

Derek had a sneaking suspicion that his sisters were at fault for this. Laura and Cora must have told Dr Deaton that Derek was basically a hermit who never spoke or interacted with anyone if he didn't have to.

That he had violent outbursts sometimes.

That he was broken.

Sighing he pulled up to the Apartment building that was his. He owned it. Laura and Cora had signed over their shares to him and Peter.

Derek had renovated the top suite himself so that it would be livable for Peter and him. Derek, although very antisocial and downright introvertive tendencies, would do anything for his family.

So ofcourse here he was walking up the steps to the building getting ready to start living with his uncle. Derek really wished he could be back in new york. It was so easy to blend in and disappear there. Here, he felt like every set of eyes were on him. Watching him.

He stepped up to the elevator and pressed the button. Nothing happened. He pressed it again. Still nothing. Not again. "Piece of crap!" Derek growled at the elevator as if threatening it might make it work. This was the third breakdown it had had. He was going to have to call the contractors to see if he could get a new lift.

Turning he made his way up 6 stories to his loft Apartment. This was going to be a long 6 months.

%%%%%

Stompy was back. Stiles could hear the thump thump thump of the heavy steps above his apartment. Stiles sighed and turned his music up a little louder to drown out Mr Stompy's footfalls. He had heard that the penthouse suite above him had suddenly found an owner. That was two months ago. Then suddenly Mr Stompy showed up and started makng a lot of noise.

He was either the loudest most inconsiderate tentate there ever was that lived on the top floor of anywhere... or he had been renovating the run down top floor to become its own loft apartment. Which Stiles knew was what had been going on for 2 months.

He was blind, not stupid. The sound of hammering and drills and all types of cursing and growling and stomping and everything kind of gave it away.

Stiles headache was pretty bad today. He popped a few tylenol and drank his water careful not to spill any down his chin. When he heard the 100,673 curse from above him and some hammering Stiles decided he couldn't take it anymore.

Picking up his cane and letting it flick out to become his walking stick, he made his way from the kitchen island 7 steps forward and then turn left then 10 steps to the front door and he opened it. Rechecking to make sure he had his keys he shut the door and locked it. Slipping his keys back in his pocket he headed over to the stairs then for the first time he headed up to the top floor.

He counted each step it took to reach the top. 14. Hmm. Good to know. Then he reached out his hand to find the wall. Guiding himself slowly checking his footing with his cane as he made it all the way to the door. Huh... A big metal sliding door... Is this it? Then he heard hammering and a muffled curse. Yup. This is it. Mr. Grouchy's door.

Stiles let out a little sigh and chuckled shaking his head as he knocked on the door.

He heard the hammering stop and then those stomping footsteps coming near the door. "You arent supposed to be here till tomorrow." Groused the man behind the door.

Then as Stiles heard the door slide open he showed his best carefree smile to whoever was standing there gawking at him. "Hi there. I'm your downstairs neighbor. I just thought it was time to come on over and welcome you to the building."

Stiles waited. But there was silence. So he filled that awkward silence with more talking which was his specialty. "Anywho, I just wanted to come up here and make sure you still had all your fingers and toes. Cause most accidents in the home actually happen during renovations. And as amusing as your cursing at inanimate objects is I thought maybe Id come up and say hi. Give you a break from all the hammering and stomping and what I assume is breaking down walls. Which is just super fun to listen to by the way. But I digress." Stiles was wondering if the man was still there or if hed walked off. Tilting his head and blinking his spooky silvery grey eyes he tried to listen for any sign of the man who lived on the top floor.

There was still nothing. His fingers gripped his cane a bit harder and his brows pinched together. "Are you still there or did you walk away?" Stiles asked completely at a loss since he couldn't see.

"I still have all my appendages" came the gruff and flat answer.

Relief that he wasn't talking to empty space made him smirk. "Well that is great. Stiles." He held out his hand.

"What the hell is a Stiles?" Came the gruff and confused voice from in front of him.

"That would be me. Stiles Stilinski. Its nice to meet you Mr-" Stiles still had his hand out and felt nothing but air. There was silence again and he waited. Well this was awkward...