Stairwell Meetings

When Stiles woke up the next morning to blissful silence it was a huge relief. No more pounding and hammering and things crashing. Just sweet heavenly silence.

Touching his wrist watch it called out in a quiet computer voice. 9:54 am. He had even been able to sleep in. Awesome.

Stiles got up out of his bed and made it easily to his dresser and used his system to grab a tee shirt and a flannel with some jeans. Pulling on his favorite red chucks he carefully straightened his collar and made sure everything was on right side out. Once that was finished he got up and made his way to his bathroom and brushed his teeth and washed his face and then checked his phone.

Clicking it open he then said "Check messages." Into it and the phone replied back in its clipped computer like voice.

"3 text messages. First text Message from Puppy Eyes Scott. Hey Man can we come over after work? Is that douche bag still making all that racket? If you say we can come we will bring pizza and curly fries." Stiles chuckled as he made his way into his kitchen. "Next Text message from Scarfboy Isaac. I got that cd you wanted. I'll bring it later with Scott."

Stiles knew they would want to ask him about his project for school but he hadnt made much lead way with all the noise his neighbor had been making for the past 2 months.

"Next text message from Dad the Lawman John. Hey kid give me a call later. We are grilling this weekend. Get the boys and come over. You know I will make too much food. Love you. End of messages. No missed calls or emails." His phone went silent and Stiles had poured himself a cup of iced coffee and then pressed the button on his phone.

"Text Puppy Eyes Scott. Sure. Come on over. Bring extra curly fries. End message. Send." The phone made a little noise telling him it had sent it. "Text Scarfboy Isaac. Thanks man. See you later. End message. Send." Another swooping sound and then he sipped his coffee making a little happy sound as the caramel flavor enveloped his mouth. "Text Dad the Lawman. Ill be there. Eat a salad today Dad. Parrish told me you have been eating nothing but burgers at work. Don't make me come to the station and start bringing you lunches again. Love you. End message send."

Smirking he ate breakfast and then thankful for the blessed silence of upstairs he stretched out and yawned and turned his radio on a quiet level as he started his day. He moved easily and confidently around his very neat apartment. He knew where everything was.

Knowing that he needed to go out to the grocery store he slipped his wallet into his back pocket and his phone in his front pocket and then grabbed his keys that hung on the hook right by his door.

Picking up his cane he stepped out of his home and then locked up and turned heading for the stairs. Making his way down he heard steps coming up towards him from one of the lower floors.

He hesitated when he heard Mr Grouchy's voice floating up echoing slightly in the stair well. "Its not finished but it will be soon."

Then another unfamiliar voice that sounded a bit older spoke up. "And when will the elevator be fixed? I thought you said this was a nice building. It looks like half the stuff is rundown."

There was a angry growl that had to be Mr Grouchy. "Its better then your last place Peter. It's a work in progress okay."

Their voices were a lot closer now. Stiles continued down the steps carefully.

"Well I'm just looking at this from a landlords perspective Derek. If we want to make this place nicer then it cant be all crumbling and- Oh."

Stiles stopped and tilted his head towards the voice his unseeing eyes open and hopefully he didn't look like hed been eavesdropping. He smiled brightly and said "Hello." Stiles realized that he was infront of the owners of the building. That he had griped at the Grouchy guy Derek yesterday not knowing hed been the owner and landlord. Crap.

"Pretty eyes." Peter said almost as if to himeslf.

Stiles flinched a bit and his brow raised in shock.

"Peter! You can't say stuff like that." Dereks voice sounded angry and tense.

"Why not?" Peters voice sounded like he really didn't see anything wrong with it.

Stiles raised his hand as if trying to waive away the awkwardness. "Hey no its okay. Most people think my eyes are freaky or scary or something. Stiles felt his skin heat up in embarassment that he tried to play off. "Thanks for the compliment. My name is Stiles." Stiles reached out his hand and waited to shake.

Again there was a tense silence and nothing happened. He left his hand out for a moment more and then his fingers slowly curled closed and he lowered his hand.

He took a breath to try to say something to make this tense moment not so bad but that was when Peter spoke up. "Its nothing personal Stiles. I just don't like to be touched. My name is Peter Hale and this silent a grumpy man beside me is my dearest nephew Derek Hale. He's helping me get back on my feet."

Stiles felt a little relieved and smiled as he put both his hands on his cane as he stood with it resting like a staff. "Well that's cool. Its nice to meet you Mr Hale. Welcome to the building. And just give it time and this place will grow on you. Even a place that has a few broken pieces can become home." Stiles patted the railing as if he was being affectionate to the apartment building.

There was a beat of silence before he heard Peter's voice again. He sounded like he was smiling. "I like you Stiles. We should definitely keep him."

Stiles felt a flush heat up his face and neck as he nervously chuckled and he heard Derek growl. "Damnit Peter. He's not a pet. You cant stay stuff like that."

"Why not?"

Stiles was chuckling and he closed his eyes and held onto the railing as his body shook as he let out a few loud joyful gawuffing laughs. "Oh man that was great. Its good to know one of my landlords likes me as a tenant. Don't let Mr Grouchy kick me out Mr Hale."

Another growl was heard then Peter was chuckling. "You can call me Peter. And I definitely won't let him kick you out. Youre way too entertaining."

"I'm going up." Growled Derek Stiles heard footsteps and felt a brush of material against his arm.

He tilted his head towards the sensation and said "I'll be out for a couple of hours if you want to finish whatever you needed to finish yesterday. Thanks again for the break." Stiles waived to him.

"I better follow him since I don't know my way around yet. It was nice to meet you Stiles." Stiles heard the movement and steps go by him but felt nothing as he went by.

"Bye guys. " Stiles continued his way down the stairs grinning to himself. Hearing how uncomfortable Derek had been was actually entertaining to him. Peter had seemed socially awkward but still social at least. Unlike Derek. Who probably had the words anti-social stamped on his forehead. It had been fun talking with them.

He wondered what Peter had meant when he had mentioned Derek helping him get back on his feet. He would have to do some research on his landlords. His curiosity was already chewing at him.