19: Calamitous meetings

Porcelain Dolls.

Chapter 19.

"In the English language there are orphans and widows, but there is no word for the parents who lose a child."

- Jodie Picoult; My sister's keeper.

/

Saskia had slept well that night, the pleasant experience that maybe her best friend and boyfriend could eventually be friends left her night on a high. The next morning however, her mood had disintegrated pretty quickly.

She awoke to the sounds of men talking - whom she presumed was her father and grandfather - and what sounded like heavy boxes being moved. Her curiosity peaked, eventually getting the best of her and she managed to drag herself to her bedroom window, opening it and peering around the side to watch the scenario unfold.

Her father and Connell were seemingly loading up her father's deputy car, boxes and bags filled. Saskia didn't even bother changing as she ran down the stairs two-by-two, which at her short stature was not an easy task, but eventually she made her way into the kitchen, where Regina was currently sat with Amy at the kitchen table, an arm around the younger woman who looked beyond distressed. Both women looked up as the girl entered the room, her eyes wide with suspicions that she was wishing weren't true. "What the hell is going on?"

Amy stood, as if trying to stop the girl from leaving the room, but Saskia was already half way out of the door. She ran out of the door, her father and grandfather had already stopped their movements. "Dad? What's going on here, what are you doing?"

Saskia's eyes were searching her father's, then the car full up of his belongings, then back to his eyes, as a feeling of dread slipped through her veins turning her blood cold. Her father turned his head back toward the car and placed in the last black bag he had. This wasn't how he wanted this to happen, he had a plan - he was going to pack up his car, then wake Saskia that morning and let her know, that way the girls protesting wouldn't stop him, he was just trying to keep his family safe after all.

"Baby doll, I'm sorry. I didn't want you to find out like this, maybe we could go inside and-"

"Didn't want me to... What do you mean? Are you leaving?"

Bowing his head in shame, Xander couldn't bring himself to look into his daughters eyes. "It's not what you think, okay. I'm doing this for you, I want to keep you safe."

"Oh yeah? And how well has that worked out for you these past 15 years?" It was a cheap shot, but she was starting to get desperate. This wasn't what she wanted, and although she knew her constant snark and bad attitude toward her parents wasn't helping at all, she didn't honestly think it would impact them this badly and she couldn't help but blame herself.

"I deserve that, I guess. But honestly Sas, please let me explain." Luckily it seemed, for once in these past few months, something would go Xander's way. When Saskia didn't respond, he took that as his cue to continue. Running a hand down his face, the man could feel every set of eyes on his. His wife's, whom had nodded silently when he had told her his plan, his mother and father, whom had agreed with the plan telling him it was the best way to assure the safety of his family, and even the peculiar boy looking from the window next door.

"It may not feel like the best thing right now, but I promise you I'm not running away." Before Saskia could interrupt him, he continued.

"I'm doing what I need to do to protect you guys. If Eric has no idea who you are, then you'd be of no interest to him. I'm going away for a while, just until this whole thing is sorted, then I can focus on you guys again, okay? But I need to do this Sas. I'm going - it's too risky, and if I stay here and something happens to you because of me... Well I don't think I could live with that." The man was close to tears and for once, Saskia started to understand how broken he was.