24: You want a battle?

Porcelain Dolls.

Chapter 24.

"Watching you walk out of my life does not make me bitter or cynical about love. But rather makes me realize that if I wanted so much to be with the wrong person how beautiful it will be when the right one comes along."

- Anonymous.

Saskia had awoken just after 10, her mother coming into her room and launching herself onto the poor teen, whilst singing a rendition of 'Happy Birthday' that Saskia wasn't sure she'd ever heard, nor did she want to hear again.

"How does it feel to be 16?" Amy asked, pushing her daughter's bangs out of her face slightly.

"Same as 15, Mom." Amy could already tell Saskia wasn't really in the mood, so she returned downstairs telling her that breakfast would be ready in 5. That gave her enough time to roll back into bed and try to figure out if it was too late to cancel the whole day and just sleep through until the 23rd but fearing the wrath of her ginger friend, she decided to just grow a pair and get out of bed. How terrible could this day really be?

Very terrible, was the answer.

Saskia had wandered downstairs in her nightdress, only to have Lydia, Stiles, Scott and even Sheriff Stilinski to jump out shouting celebrations, but once the embarrassment had passed – or at least once she'd ran upstairs and pulled on a pair of shorts – it wasn't too bad. Her mother had made enough bacon, eggs and pancakes to feed a small army – even though for a while she was sure the Sheriff would continue to refill his plate despite the side-eye and tuts he was receiving from his son. Stiles must have him on a diet again.

Eventually the man left for his shift – Saskia couldn't be too sure if maybe Stiles had convinced the man to come over considering her father's absence, or maybe he came over because he genuinely wanted to be there. Lydia gathered all of the gifts, placing them in a neat pile and making everyone sit around, her bossy nature shining through.

Lydia all but shoved her own present in the face of the birthday girl, making Saskia physically move back to avoid getting hit by a box, and slowly pulled off the ribbon. Saskia never felt comfortable receiving gifts, especially opening them in front of people. She was still learning how to perfect her poker face, and if she didn't like a gift the last thing she wanted was for the person to know.

"Oh my- Thank you, Lydia." Saskia's hands quickly shoved the sheer fabric back into the box, trying her best to hide it from not only her mother, but her two male friends. Scott's cheek color only made Saskia realize how much of the fabric – and there wasn't all that much to start with – he'd seen, but Stiles' eyes darted, like he knew he had missed some kind of moment. Placing the box down by the side where she sat and sent a warning glare to Lydia, who in return only smirked and handed her the rest of her presents.

Rubbing his hand over the back of his head Stiles' cheeks flushed for his own reason. "I uh – I wanted to give you mine later. Alone, ya know?"

Saskia's own face felt slightly heated, but she nodded none the less and ignored the raised eyebrows and smirks Scott and Lydia were currently sharing.

Saskia had willed herself not to check her phone that morning, and once her friends had gone home, Lydia explaining she needed Saskia to come round earlier to help out with a few decorations, she had made her way to the bathroom to shower, knowing her mother would want to go out for their annual birthday lunch. She still hadn't heard much from Jasper, and in all honesty she wasn't even sure if they were still together, but he had texted her to ask if it was still ok if he attended tonight and did she want to go together, so she took that as a good sign. Once she had showered and dried her hair, she picked up her phone, pulling it out of the charger on her bedside and checking it. She had a text from her father; wishing her a happy birthday and telling her he'd be present at the lunch – which was going to turn into dinner if she didn't hurry up – and a text wishing her a happy birthday from a number she didn't recognize but was signed as "Grandma & pops", and a simple text wishing her the same from Jasper. She replied to both her father and grandmother, but hesitated on Jasper.