1

Anya was walking down the streets of Gotham to her job across the city. She was a bartender at Fish Mooney's nightclub even though technically it was illegal. Since she was still a minor at the age of 17, she wasn't supposed to have that sort of job. She was already late to work when she suddenly crashed into someone. The crash caused her to drop all of her belongings. As she was about to tell off whoever it was that had caused the fall, she looked up to see her younger sister, Selina.

"What are you doing running around the city, Lina?" She whisper-shouted at her sister. "Do you not realize how dangerous it is on your own? And aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"Well, you see I would be there, ya know..." Selina replied trailing off. "If I hadn't already been expelled..." She slightly mumbled the end in hopes that Anya wouldn't hear her. Her hopes that she could get away without punishment were completely erased when her sister realized what she had said.

"You what!" Anya yelled back as Selina began speed walking away. She caught up to her before she could get away and held onto her arm. "You should count yourself lucky that I need to get to work right now because I swear the minute we get home you are gonna get little girl!"

"But what about miss Mooney?" Selina asked whilst still pulling at her arm.

"You're just going to have to stay upstairs. Miss Mooney likes you so she'll understand." Anya replied hastily moving down the last street between her and her job.

ణణ

As the night came to an end, she began cleaning the counter of all the spills that had accumulated throughout the evening. During her break she talked to Selina about what had happened at her school. After hearing what had happened to get her kicked out, Anya realized that (for once) it wasn't her sister's fault.

Some kid at the school began picking on Selina about her family situation and for a while she had been getting back at him passive aggressively. At one point, she decided she wasn't going to take it anymore and began fighting him. The school had always thought of Selina as a bum that didn't deserve any help, so it was quite easy for them to kick her out. If she could have, Anya would go down to the school herself and tell them off. That is, if she could she would.

The school had decided during Selina's second year that she wasn't able to attend school unless she had a legal guardian. It made no sense whatsoever but the school was stupid like that. Since there was no way around it, Anya figured that she would just need to enroll her somewhere else.

A buzzing noise coming from the table cause her to lose focus for a moment. She looked at the dimly lit screen to see her "friend" Jim Gordon calling her. Jim worked for the Gotham police department and only ever called her if Selina had done something or if they needed help with a case. It was most often the former.

She answered the phone in an irritated tone, "What is it now, Gordon? I know it's not my sister since she's sitting across from me."

"Hello to you, too." He said back with a sarcastic voice. "Lee and I were going to go to a circus tonight and she thought it be a good idea to invite you two." He finished with what could only be described as a mixture of irritability and embarrassment.

Anya looked to her sister with a questioning look. "Well, we would love to go," she said confused as to why Lee would think to invite them. "What time is it at?"

"It's at ten o'clock. Please try to be on time." Whatever hope Jim had of not taking them was completely erased. "Bye." He said gruffly.

"Bye." She replied with an eye roll. "Looks like we're going to a circus tonight."

Selina looked at her with a confused look. "But, I thought I was in trouble."

"Well, I knew it would annoy Jim more if we both went so we're gonna go." Anya said while grabbing her bag.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go!" She yelled with excitement. "I wanna see if they have anything cool in the sideshow."

They left Mooney's place practically running to the precinct. As much as Anya knew it would probably be a lot of fun, she couldn't help but have a bad feeling about the rest of the night.