10

As Anya slept that night, her mind began to venture the darker part of mind again. Memories of the night before she killed her parents flooded her mind causing her to shake as she slept. She remembered her mother and father fighting again, her father had drank himself into another stupor that day and her mother was tired of it.

Anya walked into the living room and saw Selina crying in corner with cuts on her back. It seemed that her father had thrown yet another bottle at her back. Anya ran towards her father and shoved him to the ground causing several things to break on the way down, including one of their families precious heirlooms. Her mother turned to her with a glare that could turn one to stone and grabbed her arm, dragging her to the kitchen. She shoved Anya's head onto the counter and repeatedly hit her across the back with a wooden spoon.

"What the hell is wrong with you, you little bitch!?!?" Her father ran into the kitchen, glass still in his skin from the fall, and began punching her as her mother smacked her with the spoon.
Selina stood in the doorway wincing each time her sister was struck until finally she ran over and struck both of her parents out with an empty beer bottle. Anya looked at her sister and ran to her.

"We need to go now. The sooner we leave the better it will be for the both of us." Anya got a jacket for her sister and herself and began packing bags for the both of them. She grabbed as much money as she could put into her jacket pockets and pulled on Selina's arm to get them out of the house.

"We can't go!" Selina tugged back on her arm with a scowl. "If we leave, do you really think that will help us? They'll probably just bring us back and beat the shit out of us again! It's no use!"

Anya sighed in exhaustion. She knew her sister was right, but it scared her to think of what might happen if they stayed. Her parents were terrible when they were drunk and yet, compared to that, they were even worse when they were sober. The girls still had scars from the last time their parents beat them while sober.

"Fine," whispered Anya in an exasperated tone. "One more night, Selina. One more night."

♞♘♞♘

The next morning, Anya and Selina woke up in their bed to hear more screaming from their parents. Selina crawled into the corner of their shared closet as her sister took a bat with her as she walked out of the room and towards the stairs. Her mother was in her bedroom yelling about her now bruised and throbbing head. The closer Anya got to the bedroom the more she felt her heart race and the more adrenaline took hold of her. She opened the door quietly and creeped behind her currently quiet father. She raised the bat over her head and swung with so much force her father was knocked out cold.

"Harold!" her mother yelled out in horror. "What have you done? You little brat! You better have something to say for yourself you ungrateful little shi-"

Before her mother could finish, Anya had already swung on her. She dragged the both of them to the bottom of the stairs before walking to the kitchen and grabbing a knife. She had noticed blood at the top of the stairs as she had dragged her parents away from the bedroom. With the knife in her hand, she stabbed her parents to finish them off for the last time.

She stepped back and looked at her work. As she admired the artistry in front of her, a horrifying feeling took over her as she remembered her terrified sister waiting upstairs for her. She took a box from under the sink and placed the knife inside, wrapping it with a white wash cloth. She walked to their backyard and buried the box under the old willow tree. As she ran back inside, she made sure to throw as many things down that would simulate two people falling down two flights of stairs. When she finally got the sound just right she let out a yell from the top staircase as she sat by the blood stain covering her head with bloody hand.

Selina came running to see her sister with a look of utter horror on her face. She crouched down and held Anya in her arms for as long as possible until police showed up. It seemed that a neighbor had heard the noise next door and called it in. Detective Henry came into interview the two the girls, but she could already sense something was not right. She walked herself and Anya into an interrogation room and gave her a quick smile. She paced around for a moment, eying the glass window and giving a slight nod to whoever was on the other side.

The detective sat down across from the young girl and stared for a moment. "So, your parents seem to have had a little accident, didn't they?" The two women looked at each other, both knowing that the other one knew something was about to happen. Something that would change both of their lives forever.

"Aren't you the same cop my father owed money to?" Anya was beyond worried at this point but she refused to let it show. "Whatever it is you have against my father, please don't take that out on me and my sister."

Detective Henry let out a small laugh and turned to the glass before giving one more nod to whoever was on the other side. She turned back around with a smile plastered on her face.
"We only have a few minutes before the camera comes back on. The same goes with the audio." Henry became serious for a moment, causing fear to surge through Anya once again. "Now tell me, where is the knife?"

Anya was confused and scared as she looked the detective up and down. "How do I know I can trust you?"

"Your parents have been a pain in my ass for years. If someone finally got the jump on them, you better believe I am more than willing to help them." She gave a convincing argument that won her over, but she still wasn't sure. "If you don't believe me, then know this: Your parents were going to do the same to you and your sweet little sister. They had enough pull around here that any of the cops here would've done it for them. I on the other hand, hated their guts and would be more then willing to help you cover this up."

Anya realized the help she was going to need stay out of Arkham and relented. "So what's the plan?"