chapter one

***

dan

Dan's eyes stay on the floor as he walks through the hallways, people automatically clearing the way from him.

Dan isn't popular, he isn't adored, he isn't wanted, he's feared. He is known for his sudden rages, breaking the rules, speaking to few and for his infamous scowl permanently plastered on his lips. He doesn't mind being alone though - in fact, he prefers it. The way he sees it, the less people know you, the less ways they have to hurt you.

Dan finally arrives at his history classroom, walking in and taking a seat at the back of the practically empty classroom. There's still half an hour until school actually starts. He puts his feet up on the desk, leaning back in his chair and pulling out his phone. Despite it being a semi hot day, Dan still wears all black - it's what everyone expects of him anyway.

He plugs in earphones, finding some music to play before switching onto a game - angry birds. No one except Dan knows what he does on his phone - they all presume that Dan is watching porn or plotting killing someone on his phone, but in actual fact, Dan was pretty harmless.

"Oh I totally forgot we had a test today!" a voice exclaims, and Dan looks to see two boys stumble into the classroom, "I'm so screwed!"

"You'll be fine mate," the tall, sandy haired guy says, patting his dark haired friend on the back supportively, "it's only history."

"Yeah but I can't fail Caspar! I've already failed two other ones!" the dark haired guy - Fin or Phil or something, Dan thinks - groans to Caspar.

"Well, study now?" Caspar suggests, shrugging at his distraught friend , they haven't noticed Dan yet, "you'll be fine Phil! Just sit up the back and copy me."

"Copy you Caspar? Seriously?" Phil exclaims, clearly freaking out, "what if you get it all wrong?"

"Hey I studied for this test!" Caspar defends, frowning at his friend, "and we both know history is one of my strong subjects."

"True," Phil admits as they walk towards where Dan is sitting, "but I'd feel guilty."

"I'll just help you out if you're desperate," Caspar says, shrugging, "just turn if you need help."

Phil sits I'm the desk beside Dan, with Caspar to his left, as it's the least visible area to sit in the room. Phil turns to Dan, only jut noticing he's there, and that he's sitting beside him. He keeps staring, making Dan uncomfortable and slightly angry - people always look at him like he's a scary monster.

"Can I help you?" Dan asks, narrowing his eyes at Phil, tugging out an earphone and raising his eyebrows at him.

"N-no sorry," Phil squeals out, fear flashing through his eyes, making Dan's heart sink a little - what did he think Dan was going to do, murder him, eat him, stab him?

Dan sighs, putting his earphone back in and turning to face out the window again. All he has is a little but of a reputation, but rumors spread, lies made up, painting Dan as a dangerous psychopath, making everyone avoid and fear him. Dan heard a rumor once that he killed someone, which was certainly not true, but people still believed it, and Dan let them.

"Wow, that was scary and I didn't even talk to him," Casper whispers to Phil, pulling a face, "I heard that he owns a gun and shot someone for drugs."

"Really?" Phil whispers, glancing sideways at Dan, a confused and nervous look on his face, "I don't believe that. He doesn't seem violent, just... Cut off and isolated."

"Maybe, but I don't think so, I mean, that's what he's known for isn't it?" Caspar asks Phil quietly.

"I guess, I'm not really-" Phil starts.