Chapter 9

(I don't own Ben 10)

Mr. Smoothie! Ben shouted, grinning as he looked out the window of the car as we passed the smoothie place.

I cast him a look, how can you be thinking of smoothies right now?

Ben sighed before resting his back against the seat behind him.
I went back to fiddling with the omnitrix, twisting it back and forth between Big Chill and XLR8, two of my favorites. They made it easy to get away. I do a lot of running.

What are you so worried about?

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye as I twisted the dial to Big Chill. He was staring at me, a concerned look on his face, brow furrowed. I tried to throw up a wall, just to see if I could do it.

Ben grinned before ruffling my hair, they're not going to take you back to the orphanage as long as you have the omnitrix on your wrist.

What if they take it?

I won't let anybody do that. Besides, it's harder than you think it would be to get that thing off.

I paused as a realization came to me. I gasped, quite loudly, in fact, as I realized it kind of made sense. Gwen glanced back at me, and I shrugged, "I saw a McDonalds. I've never been to a fast food place."

I've never been in a car before, either, but I didn't share that information.

Her gaze softened and she turned back around.

Do explain, you know you want to, Ben smirked, sounding amused. But I could tell he hadn't thought of this either.

Now listen, I told him, even though he could hear my every thought, what do you remember after he killed you?

Nothing. It was like I was sleeping until I woke up in the middle of a street and almost had a heart attack when a car breezed on through me.

Sorry, I apologised, anyways, Z didn't just, like, kill you in space, did he?

No. It was on a planet, Ben said, sitting up, the amused look gone from his face as he realized I might be on to something.

So how would he just 'lose' it?

Ben's eyes narrowed, are you saying he specifically sent it down to Earth on a collision course with you?

He must have done his research and figured I was what he needed, despite his overlook on my age. Think about it: there's not really anybody for me to miss, and nobody to really miss me.

An orphan needing a family... he wasn't going to wear the omnitrix himself because he knew I would make his life horrible. But if he didn't trap me in the omnitrix, it wouldn't match whatever plan he has for it.

Hey! That was what I was about to say!

But I look better saying it.

I stuck my tongue out at him, and in reply he did the same.

Isn't that childish of you? I scorned.

Little old to know that word, huh, Mr. Short-enough-to-be-mistaken-for-a-five-year-old?

I really wish I could punch you, I told him.

Yeah, because that would be soooo painful. Like a little fruit fly-

I punched him, and my fist went right through him. He gave me a dirty look as he gasped.

Just go for the throat, huh!? No wonder Z picked you out.