Chapter 10

(I don't own Ben 10.)

"I know it's not that great, but everybody else were too busy and stuff and-"

I was too busy bouncing up and down in excitement, "I've never been in a real house before! It's perfect!"

Ben was smiling for some reason, standing beside Kevin and Gwen, who had been tasked with the job of keeping an eye on me, and who seemed pretty surprised that I was so excited. They were still searching for the parents I don't have. And so I had been granted the honor of spending the night at Kevin's. Gwen was staying over, and Kevin's mom was out for a week on a trip, but I was just going to sleep on the couch.

The only bed I've ever had was more of a stone hard cot. There had been a mattress, sure, but not a very good one.

A couch, I've never slept on a couch.

The roof looked particularly great.

"Whoa! Hey! Get down!"

Too late. I had already scurried up the nearest tree like a squirrel. I leaped into the highest branches, aiming for a high but sturdy enough looking branch.

"Hey! Kid! Tobias! You're going to kill yourself!"

"He's like a human Spidermonkey," I heard Gwen say, "Tobias, where are you going?"

I glanced down and my hesitation made my foot slip. I grunted as I slipped until I was hanging by my hands precariously high above the ground before pulling myself up. I managed to get my foot high enough to pull myself the rest of the way up. I grinned down at them and waved.

"How the heck does a five year old get that high up in a tree?" I heard Kevin mutter.

I leaped, my hands managing to grab onto the desired branch at the last second. I pulled myself up before leaping towards the roof.

I landed on it and climbed up it carefully.

"He's walking on my roof!"

"He's going to end up killing himself and THAT'S what you're worried about!?"

Jeez, they can't care about me that much, I rolled my eyes, "don't know why they're so worried."

Ben floated by, arms behind his head as if he was just lying on the ground and staring at the clouds. I want a smoothie. And some chili fries.

"I could do with a good flight," I told him, standing fearlessly at the edge of the roof, arms outspread as if about to fly.

Below, Gwen and Kevin were staring up at me with worried expressions.

Nobody wants to see a kid pancake, Ben pointed out to me.

"Think they'll catch me if I jump?" I asked Ben. I didn't see anywhere with a soft landing, which kind of bothered me and made me feel uneasy. I was used to having a large pond to catch me if I slip off the roof.

Ben rolled his eyes, did you forget about the omnitrix?

I stared down at said device. Kevin had said something about a Spidermonkey.

Oh no you don't, you little squirrel. Just fly down, nice and easy, Ben told me, because next thing we know you'll be leaping off of cliffs thinking you're Spiderman.

I pondered the thought.

No!

I laughed, "I was kidding, Ben."

I twisted the dial to a new alien, "what's this one?"

No, that's Alien X. He has several other personalities. Horrible.

"Sounds fun," I grinned.

And then I jumped off the roof.