Lost

Chapter 8 - Lost

”Has anybody seen Karolyn today?” Sirius asked his friends when they sat down for lunch. Lily and James exchanged a knowing, yet frightened look, Sirius didn’t notice it though; he was too busy looking over at the Slytherin table, trying to find the purple-eyed girl. She had left him confused after their kiss the previous day. Sirius replayed the episode in his head for the 100th time.

They had been standing so close to each other, he’d had his hand on her cheek. To him it looked like she was struggling with something inside her head. She had lied to him, and when he wanted to know more, she avoided his question by kissing him. A kiss that had left him breathless. She had caught him totally by surprise, a surprise he didn’t mind at all of course. His hands automatically found their way to her hair and hip, holding her as close as possible. Her scent was overwhelming, and the taste, when their tongues met, was like nothing else. But then she pushed him away, and with a single ‘I have to go’ she ran, leaving Sirius alone and confused. He had been too astounded to follow her.

Later at dinner he’d been trying to find her, but she never showed up. He tried to find her for breakfast, but again with no luck. She was nowhere to be seen, and he began worrying. When she didn’t show up for classes, he knew something was wrong. As he looked at the Slytherin table again, he noticed someone else missing. Maybe there were some urgent family thing that required both Karolyn and Snivellus, but he doubted it. That still didn’t explain why she had run away from him after their kiss.

         “Oi!” he looked at Lily and James who had been engaged in a very suspicious, whispering conversation, “What are you two whispering about?” The two looked at each other, wordlessly trying to come up with a lie. They both knew the answer ‘nothing’ wouldn’t get them very far.

         “That’s none of your business, Black.” James looked gratefully at Lily, glad she was the one to speak; he knew he could never pull that off with Sirius. Those two boys told each other everything. No secrets were between them, except, of course, this little apparently private conversation between James and Lily.

         “James will tell me later.” Sirius shrugged, looking at his best friend. But James just sent him an apologetic look, telling him that wasn’t an option. “Since when are you keeping secrets from me?”

         “The secret I’m keeping isn’t mine to tell.” This time it was Lily to smile gratefully at James, which made Sirius turn his attention to Lily. Something was definitely up with those two. They were the last two people to speak to Karolyn before she disappeared. Lily was Karolyn’s best friend here at Hogwarts, if anyone knew where Karolyn were it was her.

Sirius sent her an almost too sweet smile. “Lily, do you know where Karolyn is?”

         “No, Sirius,” she drawled on his name as he had done with hers, “I don’t know where she is. Go ask Severus or some of the other Slytherins. She might just be sick.” Something about Lily’s voice wasn’t right, it shook a little and her eyes flickered, never really looking into his. She was indeed keeping a secret about Karolyn, and Sirius knew for sure that Lily didn’t think for one second that Karolyn was sick.

         “I can’t ask Snape.” Sirius said and Lily snorted, making her choke on her pumpkin juice. James hit her on her back until she stopped coughing.

         “Oh, please Black. You’re going to let your pride come between you and Karolyn?” she managed to cough out in a hoarse voice. Now it was Sirius’ turn to snort, this was not about his pride. If it had been he would have gladly talked to Snape, all right, not gladly, but he would’ve done it.