A Friend In Need

This chapter is dedicated to SusanChilkotowsky for giving me my 300th vote and for being very awesome! :)

I'M SO SORRY FOR BEING SO SLOW AT UPDATING! MY LIFE IS JUST SIMPLY CRAZY ATM. But I'm so happy for the people who reads this even though I'm terribly slow! :)

I hope you'll all like this new chapter! :) Remember to vote, comment, fan and if you want to do a little irish jig :) (Yes, I do love Ireland very much!) haha

Chapter 5 - A Friend In Need

         “Why are you crying?” a small voice asked. Karolyn’s head snapped up and she looked around the common room, at first she didn’t notice anyone. But then, there by the stairwell that lead to the girls rooms, she saw the girl she met during her first day. This time her hair wasn’t the same bright pink colour, it was green and Karolyn didn’t know how she hadn’t noticed the girl immediately. She wiped her eyes and tried to smile at the girl.

         “Are you okay?” asked Adira. Karolyn tried to speak but a lump had formed in her throat and she knew if she began talking she would burst out in tears once again. The younger girl seemed to notice and she quickly ran over to Karolyn and gave her a hug. This tenderness the girl showed made Karolyn cry again. She was so thankful the eleven-year-old was so friendly. When Karolyn couldn’t squeeze out more tears she leaned away from Adira.

         “How long did you sit over there?” Karolyn finally asked. Adira shrugged her shoulders.

         “Not long. I’m a very light sleeper, and I heard some noise. So I decided to check it out.”

         “What did you hear?”

         “I couldn’t make out any words, I just heard voices. I came down just before that guy left. He wasn’t very nice to you.”

         “If you knew what I’ve done you would’ve done the same.” Karolyn sighed. Adira snorted and rolled her eyes. Karolyn liked this girl a lot, Adira was so positive about everything it seemed. She was even smiling at Karolyn now; she wouldn’t be smiling when she heard what Karolyn had told Severus.

         “I’m not that mean. I don’t judge people like that.” Her golden eyes sparkled in the light from the fire, there was menacing tone to her voice. She had some baggage as well apparently, Karolyn knew that feeling and she knew then she could tell Adira about everything.

         “Something happened to me when I was a little girl, I was probably about eight, maybe nine, years old. My stepfather was a wizard of dark magic, he loved to experiment with magic, and he often tried making his own spells. One day he summoned a spirit, don’t ask me how because I don’t know. I was just so unfortunate to interrupt while he was trying a new spell out on the spirit, and then it was sent right into me by accident. The spell did something to my stepfather as well, and he turned mad. He ended up killing himself shortly after. But ever since then I’ve had this—thing—inside of me, and it’s trying to get out. It takes over my body whenever it can and makes me do horrible things.”

         “What kind of things?” Adira hadn’t moved throughout the story, and her expression only showed interest, not fear. It made Karolyn feel safer; she didn’t fear being left alone anymore.

         “Things like killing people, and it’s trying to kill me as well. But I can suppress it by drinking a special potion every other day.” Karolyn swallowed and looked the girl in her bright blue eyes, “But I’m so scared it’ll possess me completely one day. It happened tonight and I couldn’t stop it. It’s the worst feeling in the world; it’s like being burned inside your body. Severus was my only hope of an almost-normal life when he found that potion for me, but now he’s left me as well. Everyone will when they hear what I have done.” The beautiful brunette choked out the last sentence and then hugged herself supressing a sob. Adira frowned as Karolyn spoke, but she never moved even a centimetre from the brunette. She just placed her hand on Karolyn’s wrist and smiled sadly.