Secrets

“It’s okay, sweetheart. You’re safe.” Lily reassured the little girl. She wasn’t screaming anymore but she was having a bad case of the hysterics. She was sobbing quite loudly into Lily’s shirt as the elder of the two whispered reassuringly into the younger ones ears, trying to calm her down. Karolyn stood a good few metres from the two girls and James kind of stood in between them all, making sure Karolyn couldn’t get too close to the little girl.

         “What happened, dear?” Lily asked calmly when the little girl had finally stopped sobbing.

         “I saw her in the dungeons, she was on her way to our common room. I didn’t know anything was wrong, but when she turned to see me, I noticed her eyes. They were pitch black, her expression was menacing. She said . . .” her breathing hitched and she looked up at Lily.

         “What did she say?” Lily kept stroking the girl’s hair.

         “She told me that Karolyn was gone and she wouldn’t be back. And then she attacked me. She looked so scary! I was scared. Please don’t make me talk about it, I don’t want to remember it.”

         “Don’t worry, you’re safe now. What’s your name, sweetheart?” Lily looked at Karolyn as to make sure everything really was safe. She sat with her back against a tree, her legs bent and her chin rested on her knees. She cried silently, her big purple eyes filled with regret and sorrow.

         “Adira Malfoy.”

         “Malfoy? Are you related to Lucius Malfoy?” James asked. The girl turned her attention to him; all her fear disappeared and was replaced by anger.

         “Yes, he’s my stupid older brother. How do you know him?”

         “He was the stupid Head Boy when we were second years. He gave us about a thousand detentions that year; he did his best to make us lose the house cup. But we still won it. He’s an arse.” James laughed. “How can he be related to such a cute girl like you?” Lily arched her eyebrows at this.

         “The same way Karolyn is related to Severus. We have the same father but different mothers. It doesn’t stop me from hating him though.” James couldn’t hide his smile; he liked this girl’s attitude.

         “I knew what was wrong with her. She told me about it, about what she’s done. I just . . . I never thought she’d attack me.” Adira whispered, making Karolyn cringe where she stood. She would never touch the girl if she had been herself.

         “I’m sorry.” She whispered.

The three others turned to stare at her. These were the first words Karolyn had uttered after Adira regained consciousness. James wrapped an arm around her shoulders comfortingly, making sure to give Lily a wink so she’d know it wasn’t anything but a friendly gesture. Lily smiled sadly to her French friend, for once not knowing exactly what to do or how to react. Adira just stayed put, not even looking up at Karolyn. She just whimpered at the sound of her voice.

         “Adira, I would never intentionally hurt you. I wasn’t myself. You know that! I can’t control what this thing does when it takes over.” Karolyn whispered. Her words were barely audible towards then end.

         “I know. I’m just…” Adira sniffled, “I’m just shocked.”

         “I know how you feel. I was attacked too only a few days ago, I was basically being chocked to death. So I used a non-verbal spell to get Karolyn off of me. But I understand what you’re going through. It’s horrible.” James said, squeezing Karolyn’s arm as a playful gesture when he spoke, showing her he didn’t hold any grudges against her.