twelve / a party & a fight

Allison Mayhem

           I walked down the hall wearing an all red dress which draped behind me, and the sound of my heels hitting the ground echoed through the corridor. I was currently making my way to Slughorns Christmas party. As I entered, Professor Slughorn took a quick picture with me and then I continued on. Harry and I just went together and Hermione took Cormac. But I had spent the majority of the party trying to help Hermione dodge him, yet somehow he always found her.

"He keeps trying to stick his tongue down my throat." She gagged whilst sipping her pumpkin juice.

"I understand you needed a date, but him of all people?" I asked with a little laugh as she nudged me to the side.

"I just didn't know what to do. I was going to ask Ron, but clearly that changed." She rolled her eyes at the thought of Lavender stealing Ron away from not only her, but the group as well.

"I mean Harry could have easily found someone else and I could have brought you—" I stopped myself as a rustle from the nearby curtains grew loud and the party halted.

"Take your hands off me you filthy squib!" I heard a voice shout, interrupting me. Everyone at the party's attention turned to Draco. Filch held on to his arm, tightly.

"Proffesor Slughorn sir, I found this boy lurking in a forrbidden corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party." Filch said. Oh Draco, what did you just get yourself into? Just before Slughorn could tell him no, I decided to use my mouth for something I really shouldn't have.

"He was." I chimed in. What the hell am I doing? "I invited him." Harry looked over at me, confused.

"No, I was gatecrashing!" He shouted, shooting me a quick glare, insinuating I shut the hell up.

"Well, which is it?" Slughorn questioned, still in his kind tone of voice.

"I wasn't invited." Draco insisted, as I cowered back.

"I'll escort him out." Snape said from nearby, approaching the two, as Draco yanked his arm from Filch's grasp.

"Certainly, Professor." Draco sneered as he then followed him into the hall. I was just about to rush out there to see what was being said between the two, when a voice caught me off guard.

"Why'd you do that?" Hermione asked, looking puzzled by my actions.

"I just, felt bad. Everyone's against him, it's like he never really gets a break." I lied, partially.

"He's Malfoy." Hermione reassured me. "He doesn't deserve a break. Stop being so nice." She rolled her eyes with a smile.

"Yeah, you're right." I nodded, but I couldn't help but look over at the curtains they had exited from, wondering what was being said.

         Over vacation, nearly everyone left. Draco and I were told to stay and work on the cabinet. And so that's what we did. The apple was successfully returned with a bite taken out of it, so we were progressing. But vacation went fast. Draco still hardly said two things to me unless he's critisizing me about my stupidity or making snarky comments on being a Gryffindor. It made it harder to accept the reality of us two being married soon. The fact that we were being used as pawns in Voldemort's little game was infuriating. I mean, imagine having to rely on children to do all your dirty work? Couldn't be me.

         One evening, I sat in the library studying up on potions when I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder. I looked up to see Draco staring down at me, with an odd expression on his face. "What's wrong?" I asked, kind of annoyed he's interrupted me.

"Your friend Weasley" he began "Bellatrix and some other deatheaters burnt their little burrow down."

"What?" I shouted, in a whisper, as we were still in the library. "How could you let them do that?" I sprung to my feet, feeling as though I could knock him out for not giving me a heads up that they were going to do that.

"You think I have a say! What was I supposed to do? Say 'Oh, no, Aunt Bella, you mustn't destroy the Weasley's little shack. Those are Allison's friends!' Think before you speak sometimes, Mayhem. I just thought I should tell you so you can find out from me and not them." He argued. I piped down and stared at him.

"Thank you." I finally said. He took a seat next to me, as I returned to mine, slowly "I'll try to work on getting along with you." He nodded, seeming to agree with my statement as if we were going to make this work between us, we had to compromise.

"Now, we need to get working." He insisted. And so I followed him to the vanishing cabinet and watched as he placed a bird inside. A white dove to be exact. And when it returned, it had died. I felt a tear trickle down my face and then suddenly, I watched as Draco collapsed to the floor in sobs. My body tensed up. I knew he had pressure going on at home because of all of this, I just didn't realize it had been taking such a big toll on him. So, as if my brain wasn't connected to my body, I reached over to him, and held him in my arms. Shocked at what was happening between the two of us. But what else was I to do? I mean, he was still a person, practically in the same exact predicament as I was.

        The next day I sat in the Great Hall waiting for Harry, Ron and Hermione to return. Luna sat next to me. We discussed the latest quibbler and began conversing on the subject of pygmy puffs, as they happened to be one of my favorite magical creatures.

"They are lovely." Luna smiled at me. When suddenly she looked up, and my eyes followed, turning to the side to see Ron, Harry and Hermione. I ran over to Ron and hugged him as tight as possible. Ignoring the harsh glare that Lavender was sending to me from the other side of the room considering the two of them had broken up.

"I'm so sorry, Ron." I whispered into his neck.

"It's alright." Ron whispered, sadly.

"Katie!" Harry shouted. As he rushed past me, to Katie Bell with the rest of us following. She turned to face us. "How're you?"

"I know what you're going to ask, Harry. I don't know who cursed me." She stated. Katie then stared off past Harry and we turned to see Draco. Draco's expression dropped and we watched as he turned around and walked out, but Harry followed. So I felt obligated to. We followed him into a bathroom.

"Stay out here." Harry said to me. I ignored his request and went in anyways. Draco stood at the sink, in full sobs. "I know what you did, Malfoy! You hexed her!" Harry shouted. Draco turned and without a second thought, threw a spell at Harry. I jumped behind a stall quickly and watched them shout spells back and forth at one another violently.

"Draco, stop!" I began to shout at him, as I had to practically chase them around the bathroom, feeling nervous for what they could do to each other.

"Sectumsempra!" Harry finally shouted as I heard the loud collapse of Draco's body. I rushed over to Draco who lay on the ground, in a pool of water, basically bleeding to death and moaning through his sobs.

"Oh my god, Harry!" I shouted, as I kneeled on the ground beside Draco, holding his hand gently. He stared at us for a little bit. "Get out!" I screamed at him, but he just continued to look at me, confused. "Harry get out!" I continued to demand, in a more stern voice, which caused him to finally listen, rushing out of the bathroom. I reached down and lifted Draco's head onto my lap. Snape came hurrying in and threw himself onto the floor, beginning to heal Draco. When the blood began to disappear, we carried him to Snape's office and lay him down on a couch that was in there. I sat with his head in my lap and stroked his hair, as he was knocked out. For some reason, seeing him practically dying, made me panic a bit.

"You care for Malfoy, don't you?" Snape said slowly, but I couldn't respond. It was as if I was in denial of caring for him. "You do know what he has to do, don't you?" He asked me.

"I had an idea." I whispered.