Chapter 3 ~ Letters and Arguments

I went into another room with Hermione and Ginny, unpacking my things with them. They were talking about Cedric and how cute he was. Whenever they mentioned his name, I started thinking about him and smiled like an idiot again. This was all new to me, talking to other boys and flirting. He really was attractive. He even waved at me and ignored everyone else. It made me feel so special because I knew almost every guy at Hogwarts and none of them would give me all the attention like that. I knew it was weird, considering who I was, but it was true.

"Max, what do you think about Cedric?" Ginny asked.

"What?" I asked in confusion, looking at her.

"Cedric. What do you think of him?" she asked me again.

"Oh, he's okay," I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

Hermione raised her eyebrows at me. "You did not just say that."

I looked at her, confused. "What?"

"I'm pretty sure all of us saw you basically drooling over him. It's obvious that you think he's cute."

"He's not cute! Attractive is a better word, if you ask me," I retorted. But that was when I realized that I gave it away to them.

"Oooooh, Max has a crush!" Ginny shouted.

"I hardly know him!" I protested.

They nodded at me and started to giggle. Harry then poked his head in our room, looking at me. "Max, can I talk to you for a moment? And bring your bag, will you?"

Confused, I grabbed my bag and headed over with him to where his room was at. Ron wasn't in there when we got in there, so Harry shut the curtain and turned around, facing me. "How've you been, Max?"

"I'm fine. A little sore from that fall, though," I replied, rubbing my back and throwing my back on the floor.

"What about you and Sirius? Have you talked to him lately?"

"Yeah, of course I have."

"Well, how have things been between you two?"

I looked at him with a strange look. "That's private, Harry. Not to be mean, but what Sirius and I talk about is none of your business."

"Yes, it is my damn business!" Harry retorted. "Bloody hell," he added under his breath.

I stared at him with wide eyes. "Did you just--"

"Yes. You're not the only one who uses offensive language."

"I do not use that kind of language!" I lied. Harry looked at me with his arms crossed and eyebrows raised. "Okay, maybe I do at times, but it's very rare." Okay, that was a lie, too. I was trying to cut down, but so far, I wasn't doing a good job.

Harry shook his head and sighed. "Whatever, Max. Just show me the letters."

Did he still not get it? "No, they're private. I already told you, what Sirius and I talk about stays between us." Now I knew why he wanted me to bring my bag. He somehow found out that I had my letters from Sirius in there.

"Max, give me the letters," Harry demanded.

"I don't have to give you anything," I snapped.

Harry started walking slowly towards me, then he stopped. I knew he wasn't after me. He was after my bag. We both looked at the bag, then at each other. We both ran after it and we both got our hands on it. I was trying to yank it from him, but he was stronger than me. I finally yanked it hard enough to get it out of his reach. But when I wasn't looking, he used his Seeker skills and snatched the bag from me. He opened it and found all the letters there. He took them out and opened the first one that was dated at the beginning of the summer.