Chapter 23 ~ Lord Voldemort's Return

How could we have been so blind? How did we not see it before? The dream, the Quidditch World Cup, Igor, our names being put into the fire. It was all his plan. Now, he was here. He had returned.

Wormtail just stared at him in awe. I wasn't paying any attention to what they were doing. I was still looking at my boyfriend's body. I still couldn't believe he was gone. I noticed that Voldemort called a few Death Eaters and they all gathered around in a circle with him standing in the center of all of them.

"Welcome, my friends," he started out. "Thirteen years it's been, and yet here you stand before me as though it were only yesterday. I confess myself disappointed. Not one of you tried to find me! Crabbe! Macnair! Goyle!" He stopped at the last one and paused for a moment. "Not even you...Lucius."

He fell to the ground and looked down. "My Lord, had I detected any sign, a whisper of your whereabouts--"

"There were signs, my slippery friend, and more than whispers."

"I assure you, my Lord, I have never renounced the old ways." He took off his mask. "The face I have been obliged to present each day since your absence...that is my true mask."

Wormtail spoke up and once again, I didn't pay any attention to him. He betrayed my parents. He was the reason they were dead. Cowardly bastard. Voldemort gave him a hand to replace his old one. Wormtail thanked him and let Voldemort move on.

He went over to Cedric and placed his dirty feet all over his face. "Such a handsome boy," he commented.

"Don't touch him!" I shouted.

He turned around and saw us. "Harry. Maxine. I'd almost forgotten you were here. Standing on the bones of my father." He came up to us just inches away from our faces. "I'd introduce you, but word has it you two are almost as famous as me these days. The-Twins-Who-Lived. How lies have fed your legend. Shall I reveal what really happened that night thirteen years ago? Shall I divulge how I truly lost my powers? It was love.

"You see, when dear, sweet Lily Potter gave her life for her only son and daughter, she provided the ultimate protection. I could not touch them. It was old magic. Something I should have foreseen. But now things have changed. I can touch you now."

He touched our foreheads and we screamed out in pain. It was a pain that I had never felt before. It was worse because I could feel Harry's pain as well, and he could feel mine. Voldemort just laughed at us. "Astonishing what a few drops of your blood will do, right, you two? Pick up your wands!" We fell to the ground and scrambled to pick up our wands. "You two have been taught how to duel, I presume, yes? Well, why don't we? Ladies first."

I walked up slowly, breathing heavily. "First, we bow to each other. Come on now, Maxine. Dumbledore wouldn't want you to forget your manners, would he? I said, bow."

He made me lean down to bow at him. It was obvious that he was using the Imperius Curse on me. "That's better. And now..."

"Max, be strong," Harry said.

"I-I can't," I whispered, my voice cracking as well.

Suddenly, I fell to the ground. "Crucio!" I felt a strong pain. It was horrible. I couldn't handle it. I wanted to leave. I wanted to be strong for Harry. But I couldn't. He then used the curse on Harry as well.

He stopped, then levitated me up. He came to me and grabbed me by the cheeks. "He was your lover, wasn't he?" He pointed at Cedric and then looked back at me. "I know why he picked you over all the other girls at Hogwarts. You were The-Girl-Who-Lived. To him, you were special. But really, that isn't true, not even close.