Chapter 22 ~ The Third Task

It had been two days since my encounter with Malfoy. I didn't speak to him ever since. Maybe he was scared of me now. Served him right. He had no right to kiss me while I was asleep. But I was completely over it now. At least I was able to talk Cedric out of going with his friends to hex him into next year.

It was the night before the final task, and I wanted to spend it with Cedric. He took me to the same spot where we spent the day together, just looking up at the sky. Now, we were looking up at the stars.

"Are you ready for the last task?" I asked him.

"Of course I am. I want this to be over with."

"Me, too. I hope you win, Cedric."

"No. I don't want to win. You and your brother should win."

I smiled up at him. "You're so sweet." I pressed my lips against his, but he pulled away. "What's wrong?"

"I have to tell you something," he said.

I was starting to worry, but I reluctantly agreed. "Okay, what is it?"

He took a deep breath, then began. "Max, ever since I met you, my whole world has changed. I was finally happy when we started going out. When I first saw you, I thought I was crazy to even think that I would have a chance with you." I smiled. "Max, you have no idea how amazing these ten months have been, just me and you. I've treasured every moment we had together. It's crazy how far we've gotten."

I almost cried. "Cedric..." I trailed off. I had no words to reply to what he just told me. So instead, I crashed my lips to his.

This time, he started to kiss me back. He grabbed the back of my head and pulled me closer to him. It lasted for about a minute until then pulled away again. Our foreheads were touching when he pulled away.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you, too," I replied. "I know we'll be okay tomorrow. I promise."

He pulled out a necklace from his pocket and held it up. It was a silver heart that shined like the other stars above did. I gasped, "Cedric, it's beautiful."

He hooked it around my neck and hooked it on. We looked at each other and then I pulled him in for another searing kiss.

*******

When I came downstairs the next morning, Harry started asking questions. "Where were you last night?"

"With Cedric," I replied.

"You know the third task is today."

"I know."

"Okay."

"Harry, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, what is it?"

I walked over to the couch and he followed me. "Is it okay to be in love with Cedric?"

Harry just stared at me. "You told him you loved him last night?" I nodded. "Of course, Max. It's okay to be in love with him. Why would you think that it wasn't okay?"

"I don't know. Maybe because he's about to graduate next year and I'll still be here for three more years."

"Don't worry about that right now. Just be happy for once." He looked at my necklace. "And that necklace is beautiful."

I smiled. "Thanks."

We got ready for the final task and we were ready for sure this time. I wasn't sure if that was the right reaction since we didn't know what the last task was. But I was ready for this tournament to be over with. Cedric's dad came, along with Mr. Weasley. I bet they were proud of all three of us. My parents would be proud, too. I knew that for a fact.