Chapter 19 ~ A Day with Cedric and Fights

The second task was now in two days and the only thing that was on my mind was the fact that Malfoy and I kissed. Fortunately, the Daily Prophet didn't have the article in there yet, so we were perfectly fine for right now. When we kissed, it wasn't just awkward. There was something else, too, something we both felt. I didn't think sparks would be the right word for it, but it was definitely something.

But of course, neither of us were going to admit that.

When I went into the Great Hall that morning, I saw Malfoy. He saw me come in and just stared at me. Then, he looked away. I thought I saw him blush a little bit. That was not normal for him to do that, especially when he looked at me. He knew I was with Cedric. Was he jealous of us? Was that why he wanted to take me to the Yule Ball? But that kiss. That wasn't his idea. It was that bitch. It was her fault. Well, at least I had an excuse for Cedric. I wouldn't have to lie to him.

I sat at the Gryffindor table, across from Harry and Ron. Instead of talking, I began to eat the food in front of me.

"Morning, Max," Ron greeted me.

"Hi," I said.

"You alright, Max?" Harry asked.

"I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"Did you have fun last night?"

Just then, Hermione came storming at our table with the paper in her hand. Well, here came the answer to Harry's question.

She slammed the paper down in front of me. The front page was a picture of me and Malfoy kissing at the ball. "What the hell is this?!" she demanded. I didn't say anything. "Answer me, Max!"

"I don't want to talk about it," I muttered.

"Well, I do!" she snapped back. "How could you do this to Cedric? I thought you cared about him."

"Look, Rita Skeeter wrote the article. I'm sure he'll understand. Plus, it's not what it looks like."

"This is not what it looks like?! That's all you can say about this?!" She pointed at the picture.

"Just let me explain--"

"I really didn't think you were so desperate for attention that you'd kiss Malfoy," she retorted.

I already felt the tears coming. I looked at Ron, who lifted his head up from reading the article, and Harry looked at me with sympathy. Instead of fighting back, I just got up and walked away. Harry got up from his seat and followed me out of the Great Hall.

He tried to grab my hand, but I pulled it away. "Max, talk to me."

I shook my head. "Just leave me alone, Harry."

"I'm not leaving you."

"I don't want to talk to you."

"Please, Max."

"I said, no, Harry."

"Max--"

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! WHY CAN'T YOU GET THAT?! I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU, HARRY!" I had never yelled at Harry like that before. But I was hurt, and he didn't seem to get that I wanted to be alone for once. I stormed away from Harry and went out of the castle and into the forest.

There was a spot that was big enough for two people that had the entire view of Hogwarts. I sat there and began to cry.

All of a sudden, I heard someone behind me. Instead of turning around to see who it was, I yelled at them. "Go away!"